• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Learning to cope with anxiety

A

ABgirldad

Good morning everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I've had anxiety for the better part of two years now. I'm in my mid 30's and know some of it has to do with genetics from my mother who also has anxiety. I'm also a father of two girls that I adore ages 3 & 6. I know my anxiety was triggered one night when I was working. I'm not sure of what caused it but I ended up having a panic attack, hyperventilated in my truck while on the road and my whole body became numb. The scary part was driving home. I felt like I couldn't breathe and was having a heart attack. My mouth was dry and couldn't swallow and I felt like I was going to pass out but pushed through and made it home that night. Paramedics were called and they checked me out to see that all vitals were fine and they even told me that I had a panic attack. I've had panic attacks in the past (not often at all) and it never really did phase me. For some reason this one did bad. For about a month solid I stay confined in my home (thank God for the type of job I have that 50% working from home and other 50% in the field.) I would probably say the worst issue I had was literally getting out of the house period. I had this concern that every time I got out of the house or even behind the wheel that it was going to happen again to me. I ended up seeing a psychologist that turned into a once a week visit. It did me no good and was just ultimately a waste of money. It ended up going beyond my problems and I eventually stopped going. Ever since my episode went down for the next couple of months I had this feeling in my chest that wouldn't go away. It was difficult to breath and I've picked up this habit of yawning a lot. I still having that yawning trait but have learned that I'm either tired or triggers from my anxiety.

I initially went to my GP and told him my situation and I was told I was going through a rut. I know I was put on low dosage of lexapro that didn't make me feel good. I got off that and went back again. He then put me on a low dosage of xanax. It helped for a short period of time but didn't want to get addicted to it so got off. I went the CBD route but eventually have gotten to taking vitamins and natural herbs that seem to help with my situation better. I know I did get fed up a few months ago from a back week and visited a holistic clinic and they put me on prozac. I will never do that again. I tolerated that for 10 days and had to get off. I went through so many symptoms and don't wish that upon anyone.

I'm not really sure what I'm getting out of writing all of this. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in the world and there's more than one person fighting the good fight. I take ashwaganda, anxio calm, and gabba when needed every day. I've been able to cope better with my anxiety but still have bad days. I'm by myself everyday until my wife and kids get home and have learned to stay busy when working from home and that has helped. I think overall my biggest issue that I still face is when I have to go out or drive behind the wheel in far places. I have a fear that something is going to happen to me or I'm going to have a repeat episode like I did two years ago. Is there anyone that has had an experience like mine and how you managed to overcome that fear?

Thanks for hearing me out. It's nice to be able to write out what has happend to me. I try not to say to much to my wife especially on the matter because I'm sure she's tired or hearing it and she doesn't need anything additional to worry about on top of her work life and her being a mother of our two girls. But one thing is for sure is to not live in the past. You can't dwell on it and you can't take it back. You gotta push through and you can't stop living.

N

natalie

Hi,

Now the following has some possiblitiies of addiction, to the med, however, I wonder whether if you might benefit, from Pregabalin. Pregabalin is a form of Anti Anxiety Med, there is another for panick attacks, ic an't recall the name of off the top of the head.

I would book a further appointment, either with the psychartrist, or GP, and mention Pregabalin to them, and note how they react. How the note the question, about Pregabalin, I mean.

Pregabalin is a world wide known med, so they should be able to write up.

I take Pregabalin for my acute/severe anxieties, and it is a marvellous med to take. I had it drawn up a past few years, and I would be really lost without it.

I do wish you well, and i can sympathise on the memory part, I am wondering whether if you might benefit from a visit/referral to a neurologist, although it i is a little extreme to suggest that.

Welcome aboard, to MHF.

I'm Natalie, and I used to have terrible anxieties, before Pregabalin, the right med this is came along.

I am often during this pandemic, although out of the lockdown, in Britain, England, I am still occasionally logged on to MHF.

Bod

Bod

I am taking Sertraline for my depression and anxiety and just now have had my 100mg delivered, it works for some but not everyone sadly so along with meds Breathing exercising also helps.

L

Laudanum

I, too, had a panic attack whilst driving home from work 2 years ago (my third of 5 in a month). Although I have suffered from anxiety since 1986, I hadn't had any attacks before.

They are really frightening, and you think you are having a heart attack because all the blood rushes to your chest to give you the power to flee in a fight or flight response.

N

natalie

Hi ABgirldad,

I am just touching base to see how you are doing at the moment, anxiety wise?

I forgot completely to suggest, how about and private when you are not driving work wise, if you could listen to music, or view music videos, on You Tube, music could well help you out in the interim and onwards?

Best wishes.

A

ABgirldad

Hi ABgirldad,

I am just touching base to see how you are doing at the moment, anxiety wise?

I forgot completely to suggest, how about and private when you are not driving work wise, if you could listen to music, or view music videos, on You Tube, music could well help you out in the interim and onwards?

Best wishes.
Hi Natalie,

Thank you for checking on me! My anxiety this past week has been on the rougher side. Mostly comes from my job. I manage close to around 30 associates who work in the evening. We pick up trash and recycling for apartment communities. It’s more of an amenity for the apartment complexes. Sleeping altogether has been rough this week. Only getting around 3 hours per night. I’m normally up early each morning because of my two girls. I ended up taking a melatonin last night because of my difficulties falling asleep this week. I ended up falling asleep but don’t think I reached that full “realm” of sleep. I’ve been anxious but once I start to get busy it eventually subsides. I think what’s been keeping me up besides work stress is I get heart palpitations at night. Nothing that lingers but does worry me. Along with my heart racing. I check my blood pressure at least once or twice a day and it has something built in to where it can determine irregular heart beat. My blood pressure and heart rate has been normal. I hope I can get some sleep this weekend and not worry about anything that has to do with work. I normally do try to get involved in my phone, music, television or even take a drive and do some fishing near the house. I appreciate you checking on me! I just consider it an off week for me. The less I try not to think about it the better I do.