• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Learning Difficulties (Could It be Anxiety or Depression)

M

MidnightMusician

Hi All!

I just wondered if anyone here could help me with this problem. I am currently studying and finding that for some reason, I don't take in all that I'm being taught, even though I'm listening to the tutor and wanting to. It's making me stupid. Everybody else is fine and it's like (where've you been? what were you doing whewn he or she was explaining it?).

Even if I try and focus more than usual i still don't always take it what they're saying.
And I can't write things down as they talk too fast for me to write and also feel stupid asking the teacher to talk slower so I can write everything in down in class, when other don't need to.

I'm certain I have part of my brain that doesn't function properly, what else could be the reason? I'm fairly certain (about 99%) that I don't have dyslexia or dyscalcula or whatever it's called, the maths one.

So what is it? why does this happen. I do suffer with anxiety and depression as well by the way. I think it's a brain problem too cause I did drugs for a number of years and think I may have done something lol!

Anyway, any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Do you think it's your anxiety and depression causing your inability to concentrate?

My nephew had similar problems in class and he used a dictaphone to record what the tutor was saying in class so that he could listen to it again in his own time. Could this be an option for you? Have you told your tutor that you're having problems? You don't have to ask them to talk slower but if you discuss your issues, they might well have some advice of their own. It would be a good idea for them to know anyway.

M

MidnightMusician

Yeah they know a bit, but nothing really happens, what could happen, apart from taking me to one side and teaching me separate which I don't want?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I find that when i'm depressed my mental functioning goes downhill big time.. I can't concentrate, I can't remember anything and I genuinely just feel like my brain has been replaced with mush.
Don't under-estimate how much it can affect you.
If you haven't been diagnosed with a learning difficulty or had extra support when you were in school as a child, I wouldn't think that's the issue because schools are quite good at picking up on that sort of thing.

I don't necessarily think that they'd teach you separately. They might provide you with extra information.
When I did a course at college, the tutor printed off the slideshows for me, because sitting in the classroom and staring at the screen I found it hard to concentrate. I also found the pace too fast, so it was hard to make notes.
It might also be an idea to make notes too, if you don't already.

M

MidnightMusician

Thanks Somerset. I don't think it's too fast, I think it's concentration. Notes would be good, but can't write them down fast enough and hate writing for some reason, my crappy handwriting is one reason. Dunno, it's like the lights on but nobody's home lol!

M

MidnightMusician

Happened again today. I listen but don't take in what they're saying. Swear I have part of my brain that doesn't work lol!

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm diagnosed with dyslexia and have anxiety and I'm pretty certain they plays off against and reinforce each other.

AnotherBillieJean

AnotherBillieJean

Anxiety and depression definitely make it harder to learn and take things in... Before I was hit by anxiety disorders I was great at English. My parents and teachers always praised my abilities, but over the years as my anxiety and depression took over, I noticed my English skills weren't as good. I still love English, and when I took an adult community college class last year (I dropped out of high school before gaining any qualifications) I did really well... but my poor concentration got in the way and I had to fight to focus. Anxiety decreases concentration a lot! So does depression... they both take over the mind to an extent, making things much harder as the brain is preoccupied with things that it believes are much more urgent. I can never remember what people say either... I feel like I need to take notes wherever I go!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Anxiety Forum 2