• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Learn another language

S

salim

When you learn another language you will get things that were missing.
The community will look at you with appreciation.
Maybe you will find a job.
People will love you.
Others will need you.
You will become famous.
You will live happy.
But learn through a course and not from books.
I know you are not looking for fame but I assure you it will really please you.

M

Mistral

Learning another language is very difficult to do unless you have a very strong reason for doing so. I was very poor at languages at school. I was taught French but always came last or almost last in the class. Several years ago when I would occasionally go to Germany and meet Germans in the course of my work I tried to learn German and probably attained a better understanding more fluency in German than I ever did with French in school. However, now I just do not have any reason for learning German as now I do not meet many Germans and I rarely go to Germany.

I am now trying to learn some Russian as a hobby. I see it as a challenge rather than something very useful. I am interested in languages even though I do not have a talent for learning them. For example, I am amazed at how many Russian words are similar to English words and not just the words for modern inventions, but also words for things that have been around for years, such as water, bank, park, sport etc. There are hundreds of these words.

S

salim

Learning the language makes you open up new horizons and learn about the cultures of others, this may distract you from negative thinking.

G

Ghibli

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm trying to improve my German. I would like to learn Spanish or Turkish. I'm not great at learning things, but languages are very interesting.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Learning the language makes you open up new horizons and learn about the cultures of others, this may distract you from negative thinking.
Unfortunately learning a language does not teach you the culture. You need to go to the country and learn both.

These days there are very good self study courses but yiu need discipline

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

Learning languages is fine but studying language on university's very hard. How about languages I'd like to learn Albanian, Portuguese, Lithuanian and Turkish. I'd like to refresh my Spanish, Hungarian, Russian or Croatian.

M

Mistral

When going to a foreign country, where English is not the native language, learning even some of their language is very very much appreciated by the people there. They see it as one of the greatest compliments you can give them.

There are many free websites and youtube videos which teach the basics of a language. I have found that the best way to learn is to not just follow one course or series of youtube videos, but to learn from several sources. As I said above, I am not naturally good at learning languages. I find that the best way is to acquire the language rather like you acquire the knowledge about a hobby you are interested in. Others might find more traditional teaching methods better.

BEASTMODEWARRIOR

BEASTMODEWARRIOR

When you learn another language you will get things that were missing.
The community will look at you with appreciation.
Maybe you will find a job.
People will love you.
Others will need you.
You will become famous.
You will live happy.
But learn through a course and not from books.
I know you are not looking for fame but I assure you it will really please you.
I took spanish in highschool but i didn't learn anything. I forgot everything actually. To tell you the truth, At my age i think is extremely hard or pretty much impossible to learn another language because my brain is already matured, i think you have to be at a really young age to learn a language really this is just my opinion, so don't take to heart. I don't know for sure. I might be wrong.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Starting to learn a new language is definitely harder the older you get. Just remembering words. But not impossible.

'Acquiring' a language can only be done if it is similar to your own. You get reinforcement through reading signs on shops etc.

Unfortunately it is very difficult if the foreign language uses a different alphabet. Chinese and Japanese are the hardest. You can acquire some basic words but you wont progress very fast without formal study.

This is a subject I actually know something about

Read Noam Chomsky

M

Mistral

I took spanish in highschool but i didn't learn anything. I forgot everything actually. To tell you the truth, At my age i think is extremely hard or pretty much impossible to learn another language because my brain is already matured, i think you have to be at a really young age to learn a language really this is just my opinion, so don't take to heart. I don't know for sure. I might be wrong.
I learned French at school and remember very little of that language, but in my fifties I learned quite a bit of German and now in my sixties I am learning Russian. In the last German evening class I went to, nearly everybody was in their fifties and sixties and the person who was the star of the class was well into her sixties. She was actually fluent in three other foreign languages before taking up learning German in her sixties.

B

bebernipes

I always say that everyone should learn to speak another language because it opens doors for you.
You gain access to a whole other world, you make friends, you have more job opportunities... the benefits are countless. I just don't think one should do it to get love or appreciation from others.
I think you should do it for yourself.
I personally speak 3 languages in addition to my native tongue and I can't count how many opportunities this skill has given me.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

I personally wanna learn Polish

It's the language of Lech Walesa, Robert Lewandowski and God Almighty who rules from heaven