laxatives

schizolanza

schizolanza

If laxative abuse does not result in weight loss then why do some people still abuse them?

Hellakat

Hellakat

I’m not sure if there is just one answer but I can tell you why I did it. I suffer from bulimia since I was 8 but I didn’t discover laxatives until I was 20 and deep into my ed. Mind you my binge and purge went from it being about weight to it somehow relieving my anxiety. Anyway I remember feeling like I was constipated so I took 3 and nothing so the next night I took 3 more and I don’t need to tell you what came out of me but I can tell you it was the feeling of “relief” that I felt that started my 22 year battle with those little devils that til this very day reek havoc on my digestive system let alone my life. Just like my binging and purging relieved my anxiety so did the laxatives. It was bad. I was taking up to 100 every other day. Sent me to the ER plenty of times, now I’m left with a lot of gastrointestinal issues as well as kidneys that don’t function 100%. I try so hard not to be “that girl” anymore and I’ve come along way but because my system is so messed up I still have to take some form just to go. I just try to stay mindful of how often and how many I take. I don’t want to knock my system out completely and end up with a colostomy or dialysis. I like to tell my story because if my reality can sway 1 person from going down that road it’s worth it. Hugs to all who are suffering your not alone.

megirl

megirl

I've used laxatives almost all my life since I was about 11 or 12
My mother had some health issues then because I restricted what I ate I hardly ever went to the loo, yet ivwould get bloated with lots of gas.
So I started using them. I like feeling empty, like I've cleansed my system.
When I've been on the psych ward more than a couple of days I have to get someone to smuggle them in for me, as they never let me out on my own.
I ask for laxatives and they get all snotty with me as they comment if I ate properly I wouldn't need them.
So instead of me getting angry with them I deal to it myself