• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

laxative abuse recovery help

F

foxhill

hi all. I am making the decision to stop abusing laxatives. I have been taking laxatives for almost two years, never more the one per day. I am hoping people can let me know how I should expect my body to react. I’m very active and I am prepared to stay very hydrated throughout this process. I am hoping for some positive news, a lot of what I’ve read about recovery sounds painful. If there are any tips on how I can make recovery easier, I’m all ears !

E

emmaleemochizuki

I had personal experience from this.
I abused laxatives for many years.
I went cold turkey at first and honestly I couldn't go at all for days.
I try drinking a lot of water, and eating more fibre but basically nothing was working.
Then I used enemas, it worked, so I will do it may every 3 days just so my stomach is not massively bloated.
However I wasn't having any natural bowel movements at all.
Then I started taking laxatives twice a week.
And then I tapered it down to once a week.
Then once every two weeks.
In this process, my digestive system began to work again.
It took at least three/four months, but I am now completely clean from laxatives, and have regular bowel movements.
I can tell you its really hard to start with, and you are going to freak out gaining weight, but just remember it's not real and keep going.
Recovery is possible.
I was completely hopeless that my body just gave up on me, but here I am, clean for the first time in years.