• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Laughing turning to crying?

J

Jisatsu

Has anyone ever experienced this and has it ever been at an awkward time or place?

I do it a lot, especially on the phone to my boyfriend who lives a few hours away from me and because it's on the phone he doesn't always notice, thankfully.
I always feel like such a fool for just crying whilst laughing :(

S

*Sapphire*

I've cried with joy but not laughing whilst crying. I have laughed so much I have had tears streaming down my face.

What I am prone to do though is laughing when I should be crying. Honestly at funerals, on stage, in therapy and many critical moments in my life.
I have no idea why I do it and I hate it, I have to hide my face. My therapist says it's a nervous reaction, whatever it is i'm fed up with it.

I'm sorry I'm not helping, do you have therapy or counselling of any sort? Have you spoken about this with anyone?

T

TOONAFISH

My sister and I do this all the time. I think sometimes we just have pent up emotion which is realist when laughing. then the ability to cry comes easier.

i have found myself watching a fuuny film, and starting to really laugh, and my hubby says oh no, watch yourself as he knows i will start crying and gettin upset.

no advice im afraid, just to let you know it is not just you x

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I do that too sometimes - I think that strong emotions are surprisingly similar in the effect they have on you even if they seem like opposites - so laughing / crying, love / hate. Don't have any advice either, but it's certainly not just you!

?

>.<

I do that sometimes, its usually when I've suppressed feeling sad, and then it all comes out.

Sapphire77: I do that too! It's so annoying, at the most innapropriate times as well! even when I don't find it funny, I laugh and I look like a massive jerk. I find it's usually when I feel worried about something, my response seems to be to laugh :S weird :unsure: