Laughing meditation

Kerome

Kerome

I’ve been doing this in short stretches the last few days, and it’s been really good for me, in lightening the mood, moving the energy, and reminding me not everything in life is serious.

It’s very simple to do, you just sit down and start to laugh. The trick is to be mentally relaxed while doing it, and just let thoughts and emotions come as you laugh.

E

exyz

Struggling with this one Kerome. Can't laugh at all:confused:

Plus, the only meditation I know ( which is very little) is about trying to empty my mind and if a thought creeps in, acknowledge it and try to let it go and empty the mind again.

I did think of Benny Hill (for some strange reason), but not even a smirk...

Hope you are good, appreciate you posting it up.:peace:

Kerome

Kerome

You just focus on the physical action of laughing, and everything else will follow, or at least that’s the theory, as long as you stay relaxed and let it flow.

There’s an Osho meditation called the Mystic Rose which is three weeks, first week laughing 3 hours a day, second week crying 3 hours a day, last week silent meditation three hours a day. Can you imagine that?

claude

claude

how long do you make yourself laugh for at first? I got to about 15 seconds and i just felt physically worn out :confused:

E

exyz

Well you did 15 seconds more than me Claude:)

Now I seem to have changed into Tommy Cooper. :p

I'm going to have another go later on when there is no one about.

:D

Kerome

Kerome

Im admiring that you are having a go at this, I hope you persist, it can open some interesting doors.

claude

claude

i got to just over a minute with it today. I find it interesting/unsettling how similar laughing is to crying though

i am hoping to get more out of it over time.

Kerome

Kerome

The idea is that it bypasses the mind, that by laughing and crying you are addressing the emotions directly and removing a bunch of mind-made obstacles, allowing the emotions to flow freely.

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
This was in a show - 'The Real Marigold Hotel'.

The oldies went to Thailand, and all OAPs over there go to a day school. One of the lessons was laughing meditation. So yeah, I can see its merits.

More laughter.

E

exyz

Oh I saw that too Burt! It was a great series. I remember one of them wouldn't do it? Was it Bill Oddie or was that just the yoga he would not get involved in?

Yes, like Claude, I keep wanting to cry as the laughing bit doesn't seem to come to me.:cry:

Sticking with it for the week Kerome. will report back.:)

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
Oh I saw that too Burt! It was a great series. I remember one of them wouldn't do it? Was it Bill Oddie or was that just the yoga he would not get involved in?

Yes, like Claude, I keep wanting to cry as the laughing bit doesn't seem to come to me.:cry:

Sticking with it for the week Kerome. will report back.:)
I felt for them a bit. They were a bit stiff over there, but I can relate to that. We are so stiff in the west.

E

exyz

Yes, you have analysed that quite well I think. Definitely a bit stiff in the West, not too good at our emotions.
Lots of baggage.

I think I will wait till morning to try a laughing meditation though. I'll be home alone then.:)
So if I sound bonkers then there is no one to hear.:D

If you look in Claude. Let me know how it goes with you:peace:

Kerome

Kerome

Perhaps it’s easier with a bit of laughter to accompany you? I use this Youtube video myself...

claude

claude

That video freaked me out for some reason, felt a bit like having lots of voices laugh at me, maybe i shouldn't have closed my eyes :eek2: thanks for posting though, kerome
i got to two mins at least

did you try your morning laugh meditation exyz, how did it go?

E

exyz

Hi there Claude and Kerome,

Well I lasted less than two minutes on the video. Same problem Claude. :eek: Not my thing I'm afraid and feeling a bit freaked out also. A big fail for me on this one. I will have to give up on it.
I have never really been one who did big laughter anyway. I'm more of a smiler with a chuckle.;)

The only group meditations I have ever done have been silent ones. Really appreciate you posting up the video Kerome but could not make it through more than two minutes.

Going to have a walk in the garden and get a bit of air. Hope you are ok Claude:peace:

E

exyz

Actually, having a bit of a flashback to a horrible time when I was a kid. People laughing at me not with me.
Well buried in time.

Definitely a body swerve for me on trying again. :cry:

Kerome

Kerome

Well, not everything is for everybody. You just take it easy exyz, it sounds like you’ve uncovered a therapy moment there. Maybe you will feel like trying it again sometime in future, it is a shame to be deprived of laughter.

Last edited:
E

exyz

I'm ok, thanks anyway Kerome. You don't know till you try as they say.:)

I would not say I am deprived of laughter in that I don't find humour in things. I just have never belly laughed in my life.
I know why thinking about it. Had a childhood trying not to give my emotions away and then went into a job where you could not show emotion, unless deliberately intended.
You can't break down and sob when you are representing someone when they have had a shitty deal or burst out laughing when the other side make the mistake you have been hoping for.

Hmmm.. lots of remembering going on here.... no bad thing I guess. Few things falling into place,

Now there's a therapy moment!:D

Kerome

Kerome

I’m sticking with it, I’m doing 15 minutes of laughter meditation most days. I find I need time to warm up, like the first five minutes I’m not really feeling it, then often it starts to bubble and shake inside and it’s when I stop that I become aware of the tingling in my extremeties.