• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Laughing gas for severe depression

F

firemonkee57

A new study finds that a drug that makes people laugh may also reduce their depression.

A pilot study has found that nitrous oxide, or “laughing gas,” may be a potential treatment option for treatment resistant severe depression.

Researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, believe their study is the first in which patients with depression were given laughing gas.

In a group of 20 patients who had treatment-resistant clinical depression, the researchers found that two-thirds experienced an improvement in symptoms after receiving nitrous oxide.

In comparison, one-third of the same patients reported improved symptoms after treatment with a placebo. The patients were evaluated on the day of and day after each treatment.

The findings were presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology and were published online in the journal Biological Psychiatry.

Although the researchers evaluated the effects of the treatment only twice over a 24-hour period, they are encouraged by the results.

“Our findings need to be replicated, but we think this is a good starting point, and we believe therapy with nitrous oxide eventually could help many people with depression,” said principal investigator Peter Nagele, M.D., assistant professor of anesthesiology.

Laughing Gas for Depression? | Psych Central News

Gajolene

Gajolene

Wow, can't help but picture someone laughing and crying at the same time, my second thought was what laughing gas...pot? :rofl2:
of course the day of and the day after they would still be laughing about it.
I seriously doubt the long lasting effects of the study for people with chronic depression but then thats just my opinion on it.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Agree with Gajolene - I don't think this is a solution at all.

Think this is just a daft idea that could just make someone feel hysterical, which isn't necessarily a good thing.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Sceptical. Sorry if this was April 1 would think it was April Fool joke. Doing a study and only having evidence of short term results. Surely they should get long term result before making anything public. So wish it was a long term solution but really dont believe it

E

Ellie32

WOW! It seems big Pharma companies will just throw any drug at a problem and say the results are promising as long as it makes them money. Today it is nitrus oxide and ketamine they say may work - what tomorrow? Heroin? Maybe Demerol?
This is the problem with our culture, we are bombarded with info that says "Got a problem? Then take this pill!"
Taking drugs for an illness like this only masks the illness, it does not cure it. Therefore, you keep taking the drugs, the big Pharma companies keep making money!
For anyone suffering from depression, I suggest they try a more natural approach besides drugs. The Destroy Depression System helped me massively. Written by a former depression sufferer, it teaches a natural 7 step process which helps to eliminate depression from your life, without getting addicted to useless drugs or suffering the side effects!

L

letalis

In other news: cocaine is really really fun.

V

voyager

Plenty of vegetables and fruit help depression!!

Discovered by Voyager, December 2014, no side effects guaranteed!!