• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Last choice diagnosis

J

JustSo

Hi I was diagnosed with BPD a few years ago. When I became aware of the diagnosis and researched on it, it left me feeling that it was a last choice option. Prior to this I was told I suffer from adjustment disorder as well as depression. A previous psychiatrist was considering if I may be suffering from bipolar disorder. All this has left me in a state of confusion. What's wrong with me I know I'm not "normal" I can't control certain aspect of myself but I have been left in a state feeling like an alien, if you get what I mean.

I'm at a total loss with my life

SarahD

SarahD

Hi JustSo

Welcome to the forum.

If you look into psychiatry a little bit, you will find it is not very scientific. Some have described it as pseudo-science.

There are no medical tests to diagnose any mental illness or disorder. Very little is known about the brain, it is very complex and research goes on all the time. But as for mental illnesses and disorders, the names given to them are just labels to categorise series of symptoms.

Once you get into the mental health system you will get a label (diagnosis) and after you have been in the system a while that diagnosis will probably change several times. I am on my fourth diagnosis. Often if you change psychiatrist you change diagnosis. any of them could be right, all of them could,be wrong.

I think it is a good idea to read about your diagnosis and decide if it matches your symptoms. If it doesn't you might want to request a second opinion (bear in mind doctors often stick together).

If you think it does fit your symptoms, look into treatments, especially recommended therapies, and see if you can get referred to do that. If you think you do have BPD some therapies have helped people. Try to avoid drugs if you can, they have serious side effects.

wish you well, Sarah

E

Emmer

Read as much as you can about all three. Reflect on your life. Journal. You will figure it out.

Kerome

Kerome

Good advice. And try to remember that your experiences, your story and your symptoms say more about you than any diagnosis. They are more "you" than any label that a psychiatrist can dream up and pin on you.

J

JustSo

Thank you for your replies. Personally I don't know which "label" applies to me. It seems depending on which label they apply to me I don't get the right help despite me bringing up the issue. I have read up on the different disorders and it seems each one applies to myself in some aspect or another. Complex!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Bpd outburst last night really bad and now I feel terrible Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 26
AngelLee123 Last words my brain can remember from a psychiatrist/ there’s no cure. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 18
S Last and final post (I'm seriously done) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
jacquelinx Is it unhealthy to want Euphoria/Mood Elevation to last? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
LittleMissNameless my brother died last night Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 16
S Nobody Cares That I'm Still Hurt (Last Post) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
LittleMissNameless Had a nightmare last night Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
Fairy Lucretia sorry about last night x Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
A I can't last much longer Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
D sectioned last night Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
D My friend killed herself last night Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
Natty can't go through another night like last night Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 6
M Last session with therapist -psychologist Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
D Is BORDERLINE PERSONALITY DISORDER A CHOICE? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
C Doubt about my diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
B Who to tell regarding diagnosis? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
W BPD - A Patriarchal Diagnosis? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
tunamaki06 Misdiagnosed multiple times, just got my diagnosis changed again :’) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
K Just found out of my diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
L I feel confused about my diagnosis sometimes and wonder if I am selfish. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
R brushed off without a diagnosis... Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 14
L Old Face - New diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 13
L Official diagnosis- newby Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
L Diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
Halle29 Really struggling (also confused about diagnosis) Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 12
S Getting a Diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 27
T I got a diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
Fairy Lucretia don't agree with diagnosis x Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
D Bpd diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
D New BPD diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
D Eupd diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
Memememememememe Self-diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
S What I've learned from my diagnosis & how it has helped me Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 5
W False diagnosis of EUPD by MH (un) professional, Anyone else had this? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 7
O BDP diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1
J A Diagnosis Doesn't Change Anything Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
P Struggling to accept BPD as a suggested diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 17
J (UK answers needed) Getting a BPD diagnosis / help with my moods Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
S Having lots of bpd traits but possible to not have full diagnosis? Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 18
H Relieved and Scared by BPD Diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
1 Questioning my diagnosis. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
L Symptoms worsened after a diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 2
R Questions about getting a diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 16
N Diagnosis. Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 9
Lostinthestatic On the lack of official diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
MaineCoon Anyone skeptical of their BPD diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 8
Conflicted Self Diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 3
Synesthesia May wait for months for referral for BPD diagnosis, at times very worried about myself Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 10
M Recent Diagnosis and Greeting Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4
N Possible diagnosis Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 1