• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Landlords who don't accept housing benefit.....

E

english rose

.... or DSS as they call it, which is silly because HB is paid by local councils - not the DSS or DWP, but anyway I digress. The flat nextdoor to me which is owned by the same landlord & is the same size & is in the same condition (ie pretty crap, although looking at the photos I think they've spruced it up a bit, but then again mine is a mess because I don't have the energy to clean/tidy it) is empty, I looked on one of those property websites & found it & they're asking for £30 pcm more than what I pay; also it says 'no DSS' which is strange because I'm on housing benefit & have been the whole time I've lived here (4 years next month), the HB is paid in to my account by the council & then I have a standing order set up from my account to the letting agents, it has gone through every month - I have always made sure there are sufficient funds in my account to cover it, also I am a good tenant who does not cause any trouble.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I find it farcical. I would think people on housing benefits would be stable clients, this sort of discrimination frustrates me. I think it is a throwback to a time passed, and to do with old stigmas.

E

english rose

It's £40 more actually, I can't count.

T

TheRedStar

It's a throwback to the days of 'no blacks or Irish'... it says a lot about this country how that sort of discrimination was (rightly!) ended decades ago, but even now in 2014 it's still perfectly fine to be openly prejudiced against people on the basis of them being social security claimants.

Sadly, I'm not holding out any hope of this nasty snobbery being ended anytime soon... not when the British government itself are the ones who are leading the way when it comes to stigmatising benefit recipients.

Personally, I'd have thought this practice to be in contravention of the Disability Discrimination Act... I read several months ago that, according to a Liberty lawyer, all it should really need for 'no DSS' to become illegal under this act is for someone to take it to court, and then - during the hearing - for it to be shown that disabled people are more likely to be on benefits than the non-disabled.

That said, a 2013 High Court ruling acknowledged that the Bedroom Tax is discriminatory against disabled people, but decided that such discrimination is okay when it's government policy...

E

english rose

I would like to see some legal action over this, but lawyers are expensive.....

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
that actress in the news who took the post office to court over their cashpoints, she had money and was in the right situation, those on benefits aren't

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

This really frustrates me too.
Especially because I personally know of a "non-DSS" people who rented a flat and absolutely trashed the place and the communal hallway.

I don't see any logic in it either. And I agree, that if anything, housing benefit is paid pretty consistently. I never actually see a penny of mine because it gets paid straight to the housing association.

Interestingly, a friend has told me she's blatantly lied to her landlord. She gets her housing benefit paid directly into her account then pays the landlord - he's none the wiser.
So actually, you could just lie anyway.

It is a load of bollocks, it's total discrimination. But then private landlords don't strike me as very trust-worthy anyway.
At least with my housing association flat, I know any repairs that I report will get done.

E

english rose

The guy who used to live nextdoor was a pain in the arse for the landlord, he didn't bother me much because he was rarely there & when he was he was quiet, but he owes the landlord a lot of money aswell as owing other people money via that address (nobody knows where he is now), here's the thing - he was not on housing benefit. I wish that I could get a housing association place but I don't qualify.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I thought that the system of payment had recently changed so that housing benefit would always be paid to the tenant who would then have to pay their landlord? I imagine this will make landlords wary because they will assume (given the cuts) that tenants will spend their money on food etc. rather than rent, and they may be right. If the public sector isn't providing homes for those who can't afford a mortgage then you have to rely on privately owned property that is rented out to fill the gap. I own a property I'm considering renting out : I'm obviously going to want tenants I know are reliable to pay the rent!

E

english rose

My rent is my number one priority. I have regular Citalopram induced nightmares about homelessness.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Yeah, that's a good point actually.
They have as far as i'm aware introduced a system where housing benefit gets paid to the claimant rather than the landlord.
So I can see this kind of "No DSS" thing getting much worse... because it's true, given the choice between feeding and heating yourself (and family if you have one) or paying the rent.. you're not going to go cold or hungry. That's just how it is.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i asked my housing assoc as i was worried if housing benefit was paid directly to me i'd spend it, they said it'll still be paid directly to them, but they also said the service charge would be paid they're now saying some housing and some services it won't

E

english rose

It isn't always the fault of landlords I should point out, a lot of these 'buy to let' mortgages have a clause which prevents the landlord letting to tenants on housing benefit - so no surprise really, it's the fault of those evil banks! My landlord obviously doesn't have that clause (I know that he doesn't own these two flats out-right) as I live here & I'm on housing benefit, so I'm puzzled as to why the advert for the flat nextdoor specifies 'no DSS'; I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but I am a good tenant.

Many years ago the scenario of working people blowing their wages on stupid stuff like booze & shoes & not having enough left to pay their rent was quite real, nowadays it's more likely that they've spent their wages on essentials like food & gas/electricity & don't have enough left to pay the rent - due to the disparity between wages & rents. If I had a full-time job & only earned the minimum wage then I'd still have to claim housing benefit, given that my rent is £135pw.

E

english rose

This really frustrates me too.
Especially because I personally know of a "non-DSS" people who rented a flat and absolutely trashed the place and the communal hallway.

I don't see any logic in it either. And I agree, that if anything, housing benefit is paid pretty consistently. I never actually see a penny of mine because it gets paid straight to the housing association.

Interestingly, a friend has told me she's blatantly lied to her landlord. She gets her housing benefit paid directly into her account then pays the landlord - he's none the wiser.
So actually, you could just lie anyway.

It is a load of bollocks, it's total discrimination. But then private landlords don't strike me as very trust-worthy anyway.
At least with my housing association flat, I know any repairs that I report will get done.
I would've thought that the landlord/letting agency would expect one of your references to be from a present employer.....

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It isn't always the fault of landlords I should point out, a lot of these 'buy to let' mortgages have a clause which prevents the landlord letting to tenants on housing benefit - so no surprise really, it's the fault of those evil banks! My landlord obviously doesn't have that clause (I know that he doesn't own these two flats out-right) as I live here & I'm on housing benefit, so I'm puzzled as to why the advert for the flat nextdoor specifies 'no DSS'; I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but I am a good tenant.

Many years ago the scenario of working people blowing their wages on stupid stuff like booze & shoes & not having enough left to pay their rent was quite real, nowadays it's more likely that they've spent their wages on essentials like food & gas/electricity & don't have enough left to pay the rent - due to the disparity between wages & rents. If I had a full-time job & only earned the minimum wage then I'd still have to claim housing benefit, given that my rent is £135pw.
didn't you say the flat next door is been rented out for a higher rent maybe quite rightly he doubts if he'd get that rent from housing benefit