Lamotrigine - rapid cycling?

Vintage

Vintage

I have never rapid cycled and i never used to have the mixed state people have talked about, but my time on Lamotrigine has been something resembling both of those. I feel it is more like an antidepressant. This morning i woke at 4 and this would usually signal depression, which i feel, but i also woke with racing thoughts. I have more depressions now whereas in the first months/year, i would have more hypomania. I was manic initially for 7 weeks and had to take other medications to overcome that.

My dose is only 200mg now, and i have been told that if i increase it, i could make things worse. I have also been told it may not be the medication, but the illness progression. I was also told it may be because i initially had antidepressants alone and this also caused rapid/mixed cycling. When i stopped the antidepressants, the cycling stopped and i was depressed. I have reduced Lamotrigine before, for 7 days, and i became depressed after three days so had to increase it again.

Is anybody having these same issues with it?

It is very hard to find stability without flatness or other effects.

T

Topcat

I'm not, but on another forum I go to sometimes it seems like quite a common issue.
A magic pill would be good, the side effects are a pain.
X

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm on Lamotrigine and never had this reaction - in fact I call it my miracle med as I was balanced for the first time in my life. But we all react differently. I would suggest you get the rapid cycling and mixed state diagnosed properly in case its not that??. It could be themedication, but it could also be you self diagnosing. I know that others have reported odd reactions to it on here in the past. There are plenty of others so you could try one of those instead perhaps. This is a muddled reply - sorry not with it this afternoon.

Vintage

Vintage

I'm not, but on another forum I go to sometimes it seems like quite a common issue.
A magic pill would be good, the side effects are a pain.
X
Thanks Topcat, i have read another forum since posting, BipolarUK, and there is so much on there about this problem with Lamotrigine. At least going up and down so much, i don't have to cope with any symptoms for too long. Depressions that go on for more than a month are too difficult to get through aren't they.

My dad has schizo-affective disorder and his depressions lasts for 5 months every year despite medication so at least i am not like him. Lamotrigine is good for depression, but not for much else so the depression knock me over, and then run away again. My dad had a bad rash from Lamotrigine so he can't have it.

A magic pill would be nice.

Thanks

Vintage

Vintage

I'm on Lamotrigine and never had this reaction - in fact I call it my miracle med as I was balanced for the first time in my life. But we all react differently. I would suggest you get the rapid cycling and mixed state diagnosed properly in case its not that??. It could be themedication, but it could also be you self diagnosing. I know that others have reported odd reactions to it on here in the past. There are plenty of others so you could try one of those instead perhaps. This is a muddled reply - sorry not with it this afternoon.
From reading BipolarUK, it is very, very common and most people had to stop taking it or add another medication. You must be one of the lucky ones!

I don't know what else could be effecting these cycles. I had a clear thyroid function test two weeks ago and have them every 6 months. They are always clear, and i always ask about the threshold too. I still have periods so that could be a factor. My dad's cpn told me that Lamotrigine does effect hormones in various ways so maybe it is that. I don't know of a test for it though.

I will keep reading up.

Thanks Calypso

megirl

megirl

I have been really fortunate lamotrigine was the med that worked well for my depression. However manic and agitation wise it did take sometime to get the dose right to help with those symptoms. Quetiapine also when I got the right dose helped my sleep which then stabilized my mood. I hope you get on the right dose med soon

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm interested that so many have this reaction as I have had it increased to stop manic symptoms and depressive ones. Just goes to show how our personal chemistry is so variable. I think one day they will find a combination of meds which are tailor made for each person to help us with our symptoms. That would be better.

Vintage

Vintage

Tailor made would be great. A scan or blood test to tell them this is what is wrong with her brain and this will correct it.

I think the worst part of all of this is the amount of time spent unwell, before you realise you are unwell. That really did take its toll on you and the people around you. The criticism of your actions that were actually symptoms of an illness.

The medication which made me worse in one direction or another.

The terrible way that people treat those who are depressed. It is really an unpopular illness. The world does not like the depressed, not even the people who choose to work with us. Although, they choose to work with the psychoses don't they. We are not a perk of the job are we. Not exciting enough and a big reminder of what nobody want to be like. The complete worst feature of a human, to cave in, only i didn't choose to cave, something in-built reduces me to that state of mind and no amount of criticism or shouting at me to get up, is going to work. Are you hearing me Maximus?

Another day.
Get up
Eat
Wash
Try not to get trashed
Eat
Wash
Go to bed and try to sleep

Vintage

Vintage

My niece is coming over unexpectedly. She is 10 and no trouble but it means i cannot drink and cannot blast my ears with music-for-escapism.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
letmein Bipolar Forum 1
P_Rose Bipolar Forum 29
P Bipolar Forum 6
P Bipolar Forum 6
Azelka Bipolar Forum 2