• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Lamotrigine/Lamictal for unipolar depression?

S

Skepticalsearcher

Hi all -

I have been treated for mood disorders (Dysthymia, Major Depression) with SSRIs since I was 8 (I am now 39), and for ADHD with stimulants for about ten years.

I am generally very skeptical of psychiatry and although I am not opposed to using medication (obviously) I am weary of changing things around because I know what life is like while I'm adjusting medication - sometimes the treatment is worse than the disease.

I am more open now than I have been, because I have really been struggling to keep things together. My new provider suggested I try Lamotrigine. But when I researched it I found credible articles suggesting it should not be used to treat unipolar depression, despite current clinical practices. But the article was basing this suggestion on the lack of adequate studies, and did not suggest there were other reasons.

Has anyone here tried it? Did it help your depression? Did it make you sluggish? I was on abilify for a hot second years ago but it made me feel sedated. Are they at all similar? I am definitely unipolar and I do not want to feel sluggish or sedated.

I do particularly struggle with anger and impulsiveness so I wondered if it might be a good match based on that?

I would really appreciate hearing about your experiences with this drug.

Thanks so much!

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It is the best I have ever had. 200mg is the therapeutic dose for bipolar disorder but some people take more. I take it mostly for my depressions which are very disabling.

I sleep well, not really any weight gain or major side effects. Most side effects go away eventually

They will tell you about SJS. That is very rare.

It seems to help my depression somewhat. I'm on 175 mg. It does help my anger too.

B

BlueWater

I have OCD, some traumatic events and a mood disorder. I've been on Lamotrigine for seven months and currently take 125mg. Better for depression and mood than anxiety. No dreadful side effects. For me, it's a quiet medicine. After I got to a dose where I felt best, I occasionally have mild nausea but that's it for side effects. The first day I itched so I took a Benadryl and never itched again. The first week I was sleepy and had a mild headache. By the second week, it became stimulating so I switched to taking it in the morning. Not so stimulating anymore but also no lethargy either. I felt a ray of sunshine from the third day at 25mg. Fast benefits but somewhat slow titration.