Lamotrigine effects

R

RubyGloom

I've started forgetting things and it's getting annoying. Stuff like names for things/people. Words I'm about to say or type then I go blank like it's been sucked out of my head, I remember the meaning of it but the word is totally gone and I have to Google the meaning to find the word.
People's names that I may have used when I'm with them at that moment, but I then go to refer to them a few minutes later and it is gone out of my head.
I'm also reading more words wrong, I read then think that doesn't make sense and go back and see that the word which changed the meaning of the sentence is actually something else.
I'm putting this down to the meds because I can't see that it's anything else (except old age, but I'm only 36!)

Has anyone else noticed this?

A

Asymptote

I'm not on medications, but it definitely sounds like something you should speak to your doctor, psychiatrist or whoever about.

I have a feeling you were already planning to do that and what I'm saying is useless :unsure:

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I already had those problems before starting it so I couldn't tell you.

E

essay

I have the same increasing cognitive problems. May I ask a question? Do or did you use other medication? When was your first episode, how severe was the cognitive loss then, and later on when you had your diagnose/ when began your medication?
I use several medications, some for a long time (lithium, lamotrigine, seroquel, thyrax) and have had 7 psychotic episodes in 35 years. In fact the cognitive problems already began after my first untreated episode. So what's to blame? It s now however every day more worrying.

Chopsy

Chopsy

i lasted less than 3 wks on Lamotrigine.

I felt like i CONSTANTLY 'needed' to GNAW at the WALLS.

i decided, if this was my life, then i would rather be DEAD !

i decided i did not want to 'PUSH' past / through the 'HORRIFFICiness'

I decided if i NEVER DROVE a CAR, then so BE IT !

i stopped the Lamotigine 'cold Turkey'

It took approx. 3 days to ease the 'horrifficness'

that was around 2010 if i recall right.
.... i am writing this in response to the 'title' only & have not read anybody's comments / posts yet.... ... i will though.

R

RubyGloom

Just been reading on an epilepsy forum and it seems it's a very common effect of lamotrigine. Memory, concentration, ability to multitask etc. Children's abilities in school regressing and appearing to have ADD.
Some of these people are on large doses, but some not.

I've recently been having a lot of problems with money management, which is kind of important as I'm in charge of that at the mo. But if things keep on as they are I might have to hand over control. I get to the automatic bank machines and have no idea which accounts I'm meant to be paying in to. I forget what has come from where. What needs to go where and why. Why I moved money from one to the other.
I'm starting to lose money. I can't account for £50 going out of my purse just before Xmas when I hadn't been out anywhere. I can't work out why the money in the bank isn't adding up to what it should for the bills.

It's becoming a nightmare.

Chopsy

Chopsy

I've started forgetting things and it's getting annoying. Stuff like names for things/people. Words I'm about to say or type then I go blank like it's been sucked out of my head, I remember the meaning of it but the word is totally gone and I have to Google the meaning to find the word.
People's names that I may have used when I'm with them at that moment, but I then go to refer to them a few minutes later and it is gone out of my head.
I'm also reading more words wrong, I read then think that doesn't make sense and go back and see that the word which changed the meaning of the sentence is actually something else.
I'm putting this down to the meds because I can't see that it's anything else (except old age, but I'm only 36!)

Has anyone else noticed this?
yea, i get the same... i don't take conventional :hug1:meds.

R

RubyGloom

I have the same increasing cognitive problems. May I ask a question? Do or did you use other medication? When was your first episode, how severe was the cognitive loss then, and later on when you had your diagnose/ when began your medication?
I use several medications, some for a long time (lithium, lamotrigine, seroquel, thyrax) and have had 7 psychotic episodes in 35 years. In fact the cognitive problems already began after my first untreated episode. So what's to blame? It s now however every day more worrying.
Hi essay, sorry I didn't reply to your questions.
I'm not on other medication, have only been on this one since last April, and that's the first time I have taken medication except antidepressants.
I couldn't say about a first episode really. I was diagnosed in 2013, but I would say I mostly suffered with cyclical depression. I had something I suppose could be called an episode in 1998/99, but there were drugs involved too. But it was a difficult time.
I haven't ever had any kind of dramatic episode, I started the meds because of the worsening depressions.
I've always been scatterbrained, but this is something else. I was trying to follow a recipe at work earlier, but had to keep reading each item one at a time because I forgot each time I read it.
I'm also just feeling like an emotionally numb broken robot. Like a useless lump, and tired all afternoon, struggling to get to sleep at night.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

which is how they want us to feel.

Half dead so they can keep layering up the medications.

R

RubyGloom

Good O
:BLAH:
Just said how I feel to husband. His answer, well stop taking them then.
I'm not fucking taking them for fun, numbnut. He has a short memory. Or doesn't listen/totally unobservant. Both.

I'm not taking any meds on top. It's probably what the doc will say. Here have more.
I'll say no, and get discharged again.

Fucks sake.

All hypothetical of course, I might be wrong.

E

essay

@RubyGloom

I'have spoken with my psychiater about these particulair problems with lamotrigine.
I will pick up on it later.

E

essay

@RubyGloom
According to my shrink there is no ‘evidence’ ic the connection between our cognitive problems and lamotrigine. Nevertheless he is willing to guide me with reduction and stop these medication. My ‘evidence’, beside your experiences, are that the initial good effect is gone (‘raise moodcurve’). Plus: the problems, which are not new, I have report them repeatedly, increase to an inacceptable level. Plus: I sometimes forget my morning dose. Later on I notice that I have had some very productive hours!
So I know what I want. Just like you I think. Wish you all the best.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

According to my shrink there is no ‘evidence’ ic the connection between our cognitive problems and lamotrigine
well of course they would say that as they are part of the package they come with the drugs

S

scarletscar

I've been going through a similar thing. Sometimes friends would talk about things that have happened in the past that was completely foreign to me. But lamotrigine has been the first thing that has helped in 5 years, I've never felt more human and whole since I started getting ill. So I'm not keen to change it. is that sad? perhaps. but being real > being sad > not feeling anything.

A

arwilliams

I took lamictal I think it caused dizziness for me. Did not get a rash fortunately.

Boomerang

Boomerang

Over 2 years for me and mostly i have been high in energy but now i am depressed. The depression came on gradually. I never felt very stable until this depression which has seen me stably depressed. I know what every day will be like now. My Dr says it is not a good AD but i don't think it is good at preventing highs either but it is the best mood stabilizer i have ever taken and i have had most. I have retained my emotions and not been through the flat and apathetic feelings that other ones have made me feel. I have not had akithisia and have not had insomnia. I have not gained weight, if anything i have lost. Any side effects went away. It is one that people say needs to be increased and increased but my Dr did not increase but added an AD. If you have to work, i can see that it might not be good enough for some people, but an increase for me might have stopped the instability of energy. It never did last throughout the day also. I needed an afternoon kip or an afternoon quiet time. I found agitation to be a problem sometimes.

R

RubyGloom

Over 2 years for me and mostly i have been high in energy but now i am depressed. The depression came on gradually. I never felt very stable until this depression which has seen me stably depressed. I know what every day will be like now. My Dr says it is not a good AD but i don't think it is good at preventing highs either but it is the best mood stabilizer i have ever taken and i have had most. I have retained my emotions and not been through the flat and apathetic feelings that other ones have made me feel. I have not had akithisia and have not had insomnia. I have not gained weight, if anything i have lost. Any side effects went away. It is one that people say needs to be increased and increased but my Dr did not increase but added an AD. If you have to work, i can see that it might not be good enough for some people, but an increase for me might have stopped the instability of energy. It never did last throughout the day also. I needed an afternoon kip or an afternoon quiet time. I found agitation to be a problem sometimes.
I guess I am also stable depressed. But I have the apathy. I can still feel my mood cycle, it is shorter as far as 'highs' go, but it is all internal energy now, no high feelings. Just apathy, lack of anything. The only plus side is I'm not so bothered by things as when I'm depressed, and I don't think so much. Where I mostly hate the thought of going to work, etc, when 'high' now, the difference is I'm not thinking that I'm hating it. I'm just automatically doing it without it being difficult. So very unlike being 'high' in un medded times. And only lasts a short time (up to a week) before I lose the energy.

I also get tired in the afternoon. I have to take the whole dose in the morning, I did try splitting it between morning and lunch (any later and I it stops me from sleeping), but I kept forgetting to take it at lunch. So just easier to take it in the morning.

I also feel more productive later on if I forget to take it.

Last edited:
G

gypsiqueen

I've been on Lamictal since 1999, and I've never had cognitive problems with it. I tried to go off of it a few times, but I crashed hard so the pdoc put me back on it.

I do have cognitive problems though. At times they've been really severe, to the point that I wasn't able to work. I did an all day evaluation at a psychologist's office, and what came out of it was that I had all of the knowledge inside, but I just couldn't get to it. It was in there, but I couldn't access it. Like names. I know what the name of my coworker is, but I can't bring it up. Then randomly 6 hours later it will pop into my head. And I would literally forget what I said/did 5 minutes before. It was frustrating, and my hubs was very frustrated. He tried not to be, because he knew it wasn't my fault, but he still had frustrations about it.

They didn't know if it was my illness that caused it, or the medications I was on that caused it. I didn't go off of the meds because I really wasn't stable. It's been a few years since I had the eval, and things have gotten better in a lot of ways, but I still have problems reading, and sometimes when I'm stressed, my brain shuts off and I forget what I'm saying halfway through the sentence, or I can't recall names or places. I'm still on the same meds I've been on since 2011. I have only read one book since 2010 because I just can't get through it. After a few pages my brain is like, ok, that's enough. Sometimes I have to read that same pages over because I can't remember what I read, or when I read it, it doesn't make much sense. The one book I read was a children's book, because they don't have super complex ideas and they don't have have a lot of characters that I have to keep track of. It sucks, but that's how it is. My mood is stable, and that's what counts for me.

R

RubyGloom

I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering that it's a drug which is directly affecting our brains.
The part explaining the inhibiting of glutamate interesting re.memory issues and apathy.

Lamotrigine – HOPES
Lamotrigine belongs to a group of medications called anticonvulsants, which are used to control seizure disorders. Lamotrigine acts on the central nervous system to control the number and severity of seizures. It is thought to suppress the activity of certain parts of the brain and the abnormal firing of nerve cells that cause seizures. In psychiatry, lamotrigine may be used as a mood stabilizer. In the laboratory, researchers have found that lamotrigine also inhibits release of the neurotransmitter glutamate. This is important because glutamate may play a role in nerve cell degeneration in the brains of people with HD (Huntington's disease) so reducing the amount of glutamate released makes lamotrigine a potential treatment for HD.

From wiki
Glutamate is an amino acid, one of the twenty amino acids used to construct proteins, and as a consequence is found in high concentration in every part of the body. In the nervous system it plays a special additional role as a neurotransmitter: a chemical that nerve cells use to send signals to other cells. In fact, glutamate is by a wide margin the most abundant neurotransmitter in the vertebrate nervous system.[1] It is used by every major excitatory information-transmitting pathway in the vertebrate brain, accounting in total for well over 90% of the synaptic connections in the human brain.

Because of its role in synaptic plasticity, glutamate is involved in cognitive functions such as learning and memory in the brain.[2] The form of plasticity known as long-term potentiation takes place at glutamatergic synapses in the hippocampus, neocortex, and other parts of the brain.

Glutamate (neurotransmitter) - Wikipedia

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering that it's a drug which is directly affecting our brains.
The part explaining the inhibiting of glutamate interesting re.memory issues and apathy.
All psychiatric drugs are damaging (to the body/brain) & sedative - Biomedical psychiatry is focused on treatments that disable the brain -

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-peter-breggin/braindisabling-treatments_b_85828.html

The argument is whether such treatment pays off within a risk/benefit scenario, that the drugs are better than the underlying condition/experiences of psychological/emotional distress/difficulties?

i think it's very debatable what the true benefits are of the current biomedical paradigm in relation to mental health, as well to a degree within the whole area of general medicine.

There are, imo, viable alternatives that could be used. But this civilisation/society/culture is the ways it all is/how it is.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P_Rose Bipolar Forum 29