• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Lamictal (Lamotrigine)

B

Butterfly00

Hi everyone,

I have schizoaffective disorder.

I have a question.

Are there people with schizoaffective disorder that take Lamictal (Lamotrigine)?

If so, on which dose are you and how is your experience with it?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Lamotrigine is very good for my depression. I have bipolar disorder. It is not very good at preventing the hypo/mania so i need to be careful. I take 200mg.

It is often used for bipolar depression as a mood stabliser or safer antidepressant.

I took a long time to have a full effect. I have not gained weight but my skin is very dry. It is one of my favourite medications i have had and have been on it for i think 7 years now.

B

Butterfly00

Lamotrigine is very good for my depression. I have bipolar disorder. It is not very good at preventing the hypo/mania so i need to be careful. I take 200mg.

It is often used for bipolar depression as a mood stabliser or safer antidepressant.

I took a long time to have a full effect. I have not gained weight but my skin is very dry. It is one of my favourite medications i have had and have been on it for i think 7 years now.
Thank you for your answer!

B

Butterfly00

Is there anyone else on this forum with schizoaffective disorder who uses Lamictal (Lamotrigine)?

L

Lightanddark

Shit make me see things

L

Lightanddark

Yh it’s one of the side effects

Zero One

Zero One

I was on lamotrigine and I loved it but my renal system did not.100 made one of my legs twice it's size and the other twice the size of that the skin on them just got weird like some dry scabby texture sensitive to touch. So I had to be taken off. But for me it was good on curbing the delusions, intrusive thoughts, and flashbacks that make me angry and I was able to handle my often violent autistic son with 0 % anger and just love and redirection. It was total bliss🤓

B

Butterfly00

I was on lamotrigine and I loved it but my renal system did not.100 made one of my legs twice it's size and the other twice the size of that the skin on them just got weird like some dry scabby texture sensitive to touch. So I had to be taken off. But for me it was good on curbing the delusions, intrusive thoughts, and flashbacks that make me angry and I was able to handle my often violent autistic son with 0 % anger and just love and redirection. It was total bliss🤓
I'm sorry you had to be taken off Lamictal.
What medication do you use now?
Do you also struggle with the negative symptoms of this illness?

Zero One

Zero One

I'm sorry you had to be taken off Lamictal.
What medication do you use now?
Do you also struggle with the negative symptoms of this illness?
Sorry for the late reply!

I use seroquel and zyprexa. I hate zyprexa it gives me akathesia, and there is almost nothing I hate more than akathesia. I am on alot more medicines but those are my antipsychotics. Yes I struggle with negative symptoms. The voices themselves used to call some of the hallucinations and some other things "negative symptoms." I have delusions and they can talk through me, even at work they are whispering some story through me, since the change In medicine I have A LOT more paranoia and hallucinations but that is to be expected because my mom was with me for months and she just left and my son was with me for the weekend. And it troubles my mind because I haven't quite figured out how to be the single parent of an autistic child; I'm not finding the resources I need quickly enough. So I think these are triggers.