• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Ladies - Hypersensitivity, Dreaded PMS

S

skyblue

I have to try and shut myself away from people at this time. I just feel so hypersensitive to everything, it really bothers me, nothing that I do to try and help myself works :(. Exercise does alittle but that feeling doesn't last for long.

This always happens 2 weeks before, so it's for quite sometime.

I feel so drained, tired, snappy, down, paranoid, tearful and my anxiety shoots through the roof.

I take the Femodine Pill, Vit B6, Magnesium, Agnus Castus and Aromotherapy remedies all to try and help the symptoms. But I still feel so awful, it's just horrible and it really gets me down, so much it can send me into depression.

It rules my life so much, I cannot make any plans during this time :(, it's that bad. And when I used to work, I struggled so much. I have at times had to leave jobs because of it - Isn't that terrible.

I've spoken to the doctor about it many times, but other than prescibing me The Femodine Pill there's nothing else they can do to help. If I wasn't suffering with Bipolar, they would prescribe me Fluoxetine, but they won't allow it for me.

Do you suffer badly from PMS too ? I know some ladies and it doesn't effect them.

If it does, what do you do to make yourselves feel better ? I really struggle :cry:.

Last edited:
G

grace68

hi, i have bipolar and take fluoxetine (prozac) along with my lithium.
maybe it's been allowed for me because my manic episodes have been labelled 'hypo-manic'- i.e not full blown mania. having said that, my manic episodes have been pretty mad, and i have behaved without inhibition, and lucky to have escaped relatively unharmed.
i know i am definitely bipolar. my pmt isnt too bad atm, and when not on medication, i've been dreadful, like you describe. so the meds are definitely working to keep me ok - but the downside is that i just feel so 'flat'- little emotions at all. and the tiredness and sluggishness is constant. but at least i'm unlikely to murder anyone now!
i hope you find some help. 2 weeks out of 4 is 50% of the time- that's no good for you to be feeling so awful 50% of the time :cry:

J

jema88

I have to try and shut myself away from people at this time. I just feel so hypersensitive to everything, it really bothers me, nothing that I do to try and help myself works :(. Exercise does alittle but that feeling doesn't last for long.

This always happens 2 weeks before, so it's for quite sometime.

I feel so drained, tired, snappy, down, paranoid, tearful and my anxiety shoots through the roof.

I take the Femodine Pill, Vit B6, Magnesium, Agnus Castus and Aromotherapy remedies all to try and help the symptoms. But I still feel so awful, it's just horrible and it really gets me down, so much it can send me into depression.

It rules my life so much, I cannot make any plans during this time :(, it's that bad. And when I used to work, I struggled so much. I have at times had to leave jobs because of it - Isn't that terrible.

I've spoken to the doctor about it many times, but other than prescibing me The Femodine Pill there's nothing else they can do to help. If I wasn't suffering with Bipolar, they would prescribe me Fluoxetine, but they won't allow it for me.

Do you suffer badly from PMS too ? I know some ladies and it doesn't effect them.

If it does, what do you do to make yourselves feel better ? I really struggle :cry:.
why cant yopu take fluxotine?? i take 40 mg a day & im bipolar
xxx

A

Affective

xxx
For some people certain antidepressants can trigger Mania or Hypomania.

S

starfish

PMS

i suffered all my life with severe PMS. i am now going through the menopause so have different symtoms.i spoke to a gp several years ago about my PMS and she told me to go to a health food shop and get some star flower oil capsules. it was nothing short of a miracle. it needs to be cold pressed. that means how the oil is extracted from the plant, and also it needs to be a high dose, ie 1000- 1500 mgs. i hope this helps. if i were you i would ditch all the other supp:)liments and go for the starflower oil. it is not expensive.

G

grace68

For some people certain antidepressants can trigger Mania or Hypomania.
thats why i think i ok with prozac- i seem to have more of a problem with depression than mania.. my manic episodes are 'hypomania'. my pdoc is watchful for hypomania whilst i on prozac. but skyblue's symptons sound so bad, maybe her pdoc would consider low dose and carefully monitored anti-depressants? i guess it's a case of how bad your manic episodes are, skyblue?
i just think that things sound pretty unbearable for you at the minute :hug:

S

skyblue

xxx
Yes, as the others have said anti-d's can trigger a manic episode and my Pdoc or GP will not prescribe them to me, believe me I've pushed for them, but they are adamant. I'm guessing it's because every manic episode I have had, I've needed hospitalisation. x

Last edited:
S

skyblue

i suffered all my life with severe PMS. i am now going through the menopause so have different symtoms.i spoke to a gp several years ago about my PMS and she told me to go to a health food shop and get some star flower oil capsules. it was nothing short of a miracle. it needs to be cold pressed. that means how the oil is extracted from the plant, and also it needs to be a high dose, ie 1000- 1500 mgs. i hope this helps. if i were you i would ditch all the other supp:)liments and go for the starflower oil. it is not expensive.

Thanks so much for the advice Starfish. I'll go out and buy this on Monday and do as you say - drop the other ones. Fingers crossed it'll help. x:flowers:

S

skyblue

hi, i have bipolar and take fluoxetine (prozac) along with my lithium.
maybe it's been allowed for me because my manic episodes have been labelled 'hypo-manic'- i.e not full blown mania. having said that, my manic episodes have been pretty mad, and i have behaved without inhibition, and lucky to have escaped relatively unharmed.
i know i am definitely bipolar. my pmt isnt too bad atm, and when not on medication, i've been dreadful, like you describe. so the meds are definitely working to keep me ok - but the downside is that i just feel so 'flat'- little emotions at all. and the tiredness and sluggishness is constant. but at least i'm unlikely to murder anyone now!
i hope you find some help. 2 weeks out of 4 is 50% of the time- that's no good for you to be feeling so awful 50% of the time :cry:
Thanks so much for your understanding Grace. I'm glad you're feeling much better having taken Fluoxetine.

Starfish has given me some advice to take Starflower Oil, I'll go out and buy this on Monday. Hopefully this will make me feel better.

Thanks again and take care x:flowers:

G

grace68

hi skyblue, i've also heard good things about starflower oil- i really hope it works for you. i think i might try it too, cos i still get very 'edgy' when pre-menstrual. i'm sorry to hear that your manic episodes have resulted in hospitalisation. with me, it's my depressive episodes that have landed me up in hospital. so i guess for me its more important to avoid depression, for you its more important to avoid mania. it's a horrible thing, this bipolar illness:mad:. but so good to have a forum like this where there are people that really understand. thank you skyblue and everyone else!:grouphug:

S

*Sapphire*

I think if you are feeling low pms/pmt can really magnify that feeling so much.

When I was suffering with extremely severe depression I would often attempt suicide just before that time of the month (without realising it).

When I finally came round a few days after making a nearly fatal attempt I found that I was menstruating. I think it was then I clicked that it can really excarbate my emotions.

However now I don't feel depressed I don't seem to get it much anymore at all but I will try that starflower oil, it sounds good. I've heard evening primrose oil is good for those pains too. :flowers:

S

skyblue

I think if you are feeling low pms/pmt can really magnify that feeling so much.

When I was suffering with extremely severe depression I would often attempt suicide just before that time of the month (without realising it).

When I finally came round a few days after making a nearly fatal attempt I found that I was menstruating. I think it was then I clicked that it can really excarbate my emotions.

However now I don't feel depressed I don't seem to get it much anymore at all but I will try that starflower oil, it sounds good. I've heard evening primrose oil is good for those pains too. :flowers:
Sapphire, I'm so glad you have come out of that depression and i'm so glad you didn't succeed in trying to end your life.

I hope the Starflower works well for you too. :flowers:x

emski

emski

Hi skyblue

I had problems for years because of periods - pmt/pmdd & painful, heavy periods which caused fainting at times. I had investigations and it was diagnosed that besides the effects my cycle had on my mood, I also had endometriosis and received surgery for this.

For about the past 3-4 years I have been taking the progesterone only pill (POP) Cerazette, and to my gratitude it has stopped my periods entirely. I know it's not natural or ideal, but it just takes the problem out of my life completely. I don't know how I would cope with periods since having been diagnosed bipolar - as sapphire says they really exacerbate things.

S

*Sapphire*

For about the past 3-4 years I have been taking the progesterone only pill (POP) Cerazette, and to my gratitude it has stopped my periods entirely. I know it's not natural or ideal, but it just takes the problem out of my life completely. I don't know how I would cope with periods since having been diagnosed bipolar - as sapphire says they really exacerbate things.
My GP gave me some contraceptive pills that stopped my periods for a while years ago as it was getting so bad. I recall a therapist wrote a letter to him about it. It did help through a particulary rough patch, just helped me have a bit of stability.

Then they stopped for a couple of years due to being underweight which I must say I found such a relief at the time. But thankfully I can manage it better and hold on since they have come back. I just have to be very aware and keep trying to rationalise it. But two weeks of the month does sound like a long time to be suffering with this. I really feel for you. I hope you find a solution. :flowers: