Lack of seriousness given to physical health problems for people who experience poor mental health petition

R

Respect-to-all

Lack of seriousness given to physical health problems for people who experience poor mental health petition

Today Rethink Mental Illness published a damning report called Lethal Discrimination about how failure to provide basic care means that people with mental illness are at risk of dying too soon.
We’ve been talking about this scandal for a long time. It is a shameful fact that despite the evidence the Government refuses to tackle this issue. Basic care is not denied because of lack of funding or NHS reorganisation, but because the physical health of people with mental health problems is not deemed important enough.
Take action now
This Lethal Discrimination is costing lives. But it doesn’t have to be this way and now is our chance to raise our voices as loud as possible.
In just five days we are seeing the Secretary of State for Health and we will ask him to make mental illness a priority. We need you to stand with us.

We also need action to be taken in all of our communities. Please write to your Councillor to ask what is being done where you live. Once your letter is sent, Tweet at the Secretary of State for Health. Demand that he stop this lethal discrimination against people with severe mental illness.

We have just five days to get this issue the attention it deserves. We will only be able to make change with your help. Please write now.

Read more about the report here.

Thank you so much for your support.

Charlotte Wetton, Senior Campaigns Officer

S

secretsurvivor1

I don't know how to get this message to the relevant people; please could you forward it for me?

I have met a lot of people in hospital who have suffered the same problems as me on this topic. I have been in hospital and they have taken all my medication from me, but then they have failed to give me my regular prescriptions, in particular, for physical illness. I have gone without my asthma and also allergy medication for several days in a row, more than once. When I have been on a Ward for physical illness I have gone without my routine mental health meds, each time saying that the pharmacy has not yet sent them down to the ward. I have told them going without my daily meds could have dangerous side-effects but they don't seem to understand or care.
Even stranger that you are expected to take any new tablets they prescribe, despite very worrying lists of side-effects. I have known people to die suddenly while just out of hospital or even during their stay in hospital, and it has been put down to natural causes, unexpectedly young.
Being mentally ill makes me find it hard to ask for help, hard to complain, hard to voice concerns or opinions. I feel I have no right to even worry about these things as I see that without medical intervention I would have died by suicide, so this is extra time that I need to accept whatever I get.

F

firemonkee57

I've found if i had a concern about a possible physical problem i have been met on more than one occasion by the 'It must be something to do with the fact you're mentally ill' response .

Q

Queenie

It happens to me also, I have alot of health problems. The doctors think it is all in my head. I am on my own with my head injury (from a fracture in my skull); Polycystic Ovaries; fatigue problems; bad back; hayfever and dermatitis problems I get in the summer etc. I once had to provide evidence of the diagnosis of polycystic ovaries because I "wasn't obese enough". Doctors just sit and promise but nothing.