• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Lack of sense of self

N

Natzet

Does anyone else feel like they don't have a sense of who they are and they can't function normally?

Bod

Bod

Hi Natzet, many times in my depression and mental health journey I have had a feeling of being out of my body looking in and in my body of looking out, as when I have been like this I do not see people at all as to my mind it is only shapes of those people and my mind can not see any details in the shapes as they are just dark and lifeless and for me when I do get like it then that frightens me a hell of a lot and it really is so hard to put into words for me.

jajingna

jajingna

Does anyone else feel like they don't have a sense of who they are and they can't function normally?
I don't have a strong sense of identity, not even sure what that means. Seems like a bunch of labels to me. Like, there's where you're from so you say "I'm Chinese" or whatever and it doesn't really mean anything. Or you have a job and say "I'm a dishwasher at a restaurant." Doesn't mean much at all. Sometimes I just feel confused about it all but in a way don't mind not having a strong sense of identity.

N

Natzet

I don't have a strong sense of identity, not even sure what that means. Seems like a bunch of labels to me. Like, there's where you're from so you say "I'm Chinese" or whatever and it doesn't really mean anything. Or you have a job and say "I'm a dishwasher at a restaurant." Doesn't mean much at all. Sometimes I just feel confused about it all but in a way don't mind not having a strong sense of identity.
You are lucky then I wish I was like that

jajingna

jajingna

Would having a stronger sense of who you are help you much? I guess it's hard to say for sure if you've never felt that strong sense of self before. I suppose that we see some people who appear confident in themselves, and they seem to be comfortable in their identity or something, or just feeling good about themselves because things are going their way. You know, that's no mystery, if you got a good job that you like, make good money, have decent health, a nice home, and good relationships too, you're probably gonna feel good about yourself. Then you're probably not gonna be worried about "sense of self" and functioning normally.

But of course getting all that good stuff happening in your life is no easy thing. Some of those things can be hard to obtain.