labour or conservative? GO!

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
They don't plan on it replacing disability benefits so that would still be available.
but you'd need an assessment system to decide who gets disability benefits, then your employing hordes of clarks like the dwp and admin is costing the same

C

Callalily

but you'd need an assessment system to decide who gets disability benefits, then your employing hordes of clarks like the dwp and admin is costing the same
A GP note could/should be sufficient? The Green Party want to stop the WCA's and bring it back to your own medical professionals to decide if you are entitled and they want to reverse the changes from DLA to PIP so I would imagine they wouldn't use the same methods as they do now.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i applied on the internet for a vote and shortly after a polling card arrived, i don't know if i was registered anyway, on the internet they ask for a phone no and say the information will be shared with goverment depts, i've as it is had a call out the blue from the dwp

Whoever gets in i worrry what will happen 6 months after the election, moneys tight. my savings are there for a reason despite certain people saying i'm not in need as i have them, as my support worker says they won't last long if they cut the benefits as they'll also stop the rent

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Maybe I will vote Green for the hell of it.
i like the greens though they're a bit idealistic and aren't very realistic, the way they ran brighton council was a disaster i heard, either i vote labour here or the torys get in glenda jackson got in by 42 votes, the torys are telling some of her home owner constituents that they're houses could be worth 2 million and liable for the mansion tax, my house one in the road sold for 1 and a half million, i can see my name in the papers for been on benefits and living in a million pound house

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you from what i gather are living at home if the torys get in and introduce they're welfare cuts there will still be a roof over your head and food

burt tomato

burt tomato

you from what i gather are living at home if the torys get in and introduce they're welfare cuts there will still be a roof over your head and food
True. But I am not the enemy. Besides I think Labor will win my local seat.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
sorry i've been drinking, if the torys get in they may solve that

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

I could never vote for the Conservatives since they are the party for the 'haves' and the 'I would like to be a have' people and I've always been a 'have not' and actually rather proud of it because I detest materialism. I used to vote Labour but they are simply watered-down conservatives now so I won't bother. If I was still living in Norwich I would vote Green because they are strong there and have worked well at the local level but since I'm now living north of the border (not much activity from the Greens up here) I shall be voting SNP.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
I could never vote for the Conservatives since they are the party for the 'haves' and the 'I would like to be a have' people and I've always been a 'have not' and actually rather proud of it because I detest materialism. I used to vote Labour but they are simply watered-down conservatives now so I won't bother. If I was still living in Norwich I would vote Green because they are strong there and have worked well at the local level but since I'm now living north of the border (not much activity from the Greens up here) I shall be voting SNP.
have what?

Mayfair

Mayfair

They are pretty much in now Rambo, so you should reflect your vote on whether you think that things are better than they would be under Labour.

Whoever gets in, the cuts will be much greater than in this last term, because as we've seen, the Tory cuts haven't fixed the bank balance. Labour's answer is cut the same as Tory, but get more money out of the rich. The Torys option is trying to push the economy and make money that way.

This tax the rich (I know) is a popular view, and I can see why. It's like Calla said earlier when she said that people 'want change'.

When this was last tried out to balance the budget, in the 1960s, this didn't work at all, and all the rich people found out that by 'moving' to Switzerland, they could avoid the 91% upper tax rate that Labour introduced to fix the debt (though in this case from the war).

Now at that time the world was very different. The working/self-made very rich were often famous people, or racing drivers, the latter of whom, couldn't even get life insurance, so basically thought, fuck it, I'm not leaving my wife broke risking my life - (see all the old pre-modern F1 car drivers, who had a 1 in 3 chance of surviving every season).

Over time, others see the same 'dodges against 'unfair high tax'', and copy it. Now globally, really, anyone can live anywhere and dodge anything because every country has different rules.

Jam, I think that both sides have their propaganda newspapers and social media, but I don't think politics is necessarily 'haves' and 'have nots'.

The way I see it:

When it comes to the country's economics:

The centre right [up to Tory level] is about freedom of things, like trade and business.

The centre left (I would say up to Labour... but they ARE far righter than their originators were!), want to restrict trade and business, and instead run things by the government instead.

-

In the case of the NHS, they are no different (near centre left OR right). No one wants to pay for it, and neither Tory or Labour want people to pay for it, but it's such a growing financial concern (because it is absolutely unsustainable in it's current form), so they argue about it. Neither will do anything drastic, they can't, so people shouldn't worry about that right now.

The whole thing needs an overhaul. I'd rather a cross party conference to try and sort this out, rather than silly things to win votes, like 'we'll increase nurses by 5000'; 'Well!! we'll increase it by 6000!! so there!'. It's all bollox

Both parties want 'education for young people', so that's just the same as above
^^

Both parties want good apprenticeship schemes and work programmes for young people
^^

I think though that in education, there IS a difference in thought between the parties ideals. Again it goes back to state thinking. On the left there is 'equality', and everyone has the same thing. On the right there is different alternatives of schools.

I favour the latter so in this respect, I am right of centre with these thoughts. Equality is a word too often used in an ambiguous manner, IMO.

Yes everyone SHOULD have the same opportunities, BUT not everyone is the same. I just can't grasp the left view of this, IMO it just stifles people into not having the opportunity to be good at something.

F

firemonkee57

Yes everyone SHOULD have the same opportunities, BUT not everyone is the same. I just can't grasp the left view of this, IMO it just stifles people into not having the opportunity to be good at something.
I think there is a difference between accepting not everyone is the same and the rampant, unfettered neoliberal capitalism that results in massive income differentials. It's a sign of the political sociopathy of the Tory party that they chose to make the disabled/unemployed/poor the scapegoats for the economic downturn while treating those responsible with kid gloves( and I don't buy into the intellectually crass idea it was all the fault of Labour). There is a strange disconnect between weasel words of improving mental health care and the realities of the stresses foisted on the mentally ill and/or the physically disabled by draconian welfare policies .
I do hope Labour wins as it will at least push back a little of the uncivilised barbarism inflicted on many by Cameron and co. The result will be a barometer of how civilised and compassionate we are as a nation.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
a lot of people i know seem to be ukip inclined it frightens me, a party so different from the rest it's run by a politician and ex banker from the city

T

Taffy

@Mayfair......
I don't understand your last para .... or the fact that its a "left " view.... of course people should have the same opportunities .. not based on who your Dad can do a funny handshake with... or what privileged school you went to.
Trying to get disadvantaged people up to the starting line...( for education, job opportunities, training etc etc) with those already there by virtue of their many advantages by birth.... is hardly "leftie" reds under the beds rhetoric.
How does that" stifle people into not having the opportunity to be good at something...?":scratch:

All your arguments seem to be about balancing books... which I understand... people before profit in my book... always has been.
And I write as someone who was once , for a very long time, in the higher tax bracket , before I was unwell.
Which I couldn't have done ( work via a good education) without having a free university education to give me a start..

Last edited:
T

Taffy

and another thing...:D

My taxes direct and indirect... more than paid for my education..... and I never ever once looked down my nose at people who couldn't work. Plenty of privileged who looked down their noses at me for getting where I was though....;)

must go... roasting a pheasant for tea...;) I mean dinner...pass the linen napkins...:)

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
and another thing...:D

My taxes direct and indirect... more than paid for my education..... and I never ever once looked down my nose at people who couldn't work. Plenty of privileged who looked down their noses at me for getting where I was though....;)

must go... roasting a pheasant for tea...;) I mean dinner...pass the linen napkins...:)
would you ever have undertaken that education that in retrospect your taxes paid for if it hadn't been paid for