• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Labile

jax

jax

I've been away for a while. I have been with the home treatment team (Formally crisis team) here in Belfast for over over 5 weeks. I was in their treatment house for 3 weeks. They asked me to go in as I was manic and having a lot of irritability and outbursts. Home treatment have been seeing me daily since I got home.

I feel that I have made no progress at all. In the house, I had many outbursts - due to the irritability- something that I never do> I can't ever remember having an outburst and cursing and shouting at someone. My Bipolar highs have always been happy, feeling good etc - not irritability. I am very laid back and easy going and don't like confrontations or arguments. So this is so far removed from who or what I am. At the minute, I am so rude and short at times. I can't stop it either - the outbursts just come from nowhere. and I just don't know is happening.

Staff at the house and the staff from the home treatment team kept using the word, labile. They said that this how my mood was. I'd never heard of such a word. I googled it and found very little about it> The two things I did find pretty much did sum up exactly what I was experiencing. Anyone know about this . . . Labile.?
Jacqui x

http://everything2.com/title/Labile

http://www.bpinfo.net/mood_lability.htm

E

empty_souls

I haven't heard off this word, but when I read the description I knew what it meant. My bipolar moods can get mixed, and I know myself I become very irritable and agitated. I have to admit I don't think my moods sound as irritable as yours as I don't shout. But I have arguments that would never have happened had I not been in that mood, and everyone sees the change in me, I can become very unresponsive at times. I once likened myself to returning to a moody teenage phase (though I never actually went through one that bad)
:D

How are you doing today?

jax

jax

Hi Lost souls - I see you are another from N.I. Nice to see some locals around :welcome:

Yeah, this label definitely defines what have been going on with me lately. I have never heard the term before and I am not sure why all of a sudden it is being used so much with me.

I am not totally understanding what exactly it means. I don't know if it is just a term used to put these severe swings - mixed - rapid - all together or if it is something else. ? ? ?

The thing is that my outbursts are almost over before they begin!! They usually very quick and most times after one, I sob and am so regretful. I don't actually argue - Lost soul - I just shout and curse for about 15-30 seconds and then it is all over. However, it could happen again after my feelings of regret and destress are over. :mad:

Today, I have gone from very depressed to a little elated. Thanks for asking. x

T

TabbyToes

Jax, I don't live there now, but I was born in Belfast. I haven't heard the term before, but when I read your post and the links, it's pretty much what I go through a lot.

jax

jax

:grouphug: Hi, another Norn Ironer (y) I actually lived in the States from 18-24yrs old. Came home 15 years ago when I managed somehow to graduate from University - but I just couldn't afford my co-payments of my insurance bills anymore. I didn't want to come back home to Belfast - but I had no choice. Often I wonder 'why, oh why' I returned.

When I was staying in the home treatment house, I was close to Belfast city center and the University area. I took my camera and took a number of photos. We do have some lovely places here. I must have a wee look on the main forum and see if I can find anywhere to post photos.
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Jacqui

S

shelly33

Hi

I've heard of the word 'labile', it's been used to describe me before. When it was used to describe me, my mood swings were wild and fluctuating rapidly. One minute laughing and elated (what I think of as mania), next minute angry, furious, irritable (on the brink of violent or verbal outburst but luckily I mostly kept my temper, at least I didn't lash out), next minute sobbing inconsolably, next minute in depths of depression, and sometimes 2 of these moods were present at the same time (so I'd be laughing my head off and sobbing at once, unsure which mood it really was I felt).

I can relate to what you're saying and I hope you feel better soon. Hope this helps.

Shelly x

jax

jax

Hi Shelly,
The laughing and crying sort of thing together are often what I associate with 'mixed moods'. It's something I have often and hate. The psychiatrist from the home treatment team came out to my house today to see me. Dr Claire (I can never remember her surname - so she gets Dr Claire) said that I am extremely unstable mood and emotion wise. She said that she thinks I am prone to this. I should have asked her why she though this but didn't. I have no memories of being like this before. She said that term they have been using 'Labile' defines very accurately what I am experiencing. She said I am so changeable and going through so many different mood in such a short time, that |I'm confused and don't understand what is going on or how I am feeling.
Dr Claire said that they will most likely add another drug after this weeks lithium levels come in. She said it will probably be tegretol or valproate. (One of them is good for extreme mood swings and the other is used sometime for frequent swings- or so I am told) I don't want the valproate as it was the epilim that caused me sickness the whole 3 years I was on it. I would rather the tegretol was the one I am put on. I will go on depakote if I have to. The first sign of tummy upsets and I will want off it. At this point, I will try anything - so will give it a go. Dr Claire is also referring me for OT. Which I am not too keen about. I just want to play ball for the time being and do as I am told - for a first.

S

shelly33

Hi jax,

I take tegretol (carbamazepine), and it has proved effective as a mood stabiliser. (My problems this time were caused by not realising I was slightly manic, and feeling so good that I thought I didn't have bipolar any more, could conquer the world, and so didn't need to take my meds. Now I'm in the low that came afterwards.) When I take the carbamazepine (tegretol), I'm a lot better on it.

Whatever meds your dr or psychiatrist puts you on, I hope you feel better soon.

Shelly xxxx

jax

jax

Thanks Shelly. Hope you soon start to feel better. I too made the mistake of taking myself off the epilim and lithium all within a few months of each other. (I did it because the epilim was making me sick. I then stopped the lithium as I felt it was doing nothing for me and that the seroquel was the only drug that was helping. Guess I was wrong lol. The staff believe it is the coming off the lithium that has caused me to have a major relapse and is causing the irritibality that I am having amongst other things.

A

Aine

meaning of labile.

Labile means your moods are all over the place: eg. one minute laughing, the next minute crying.

There is always a logical reason though for each change of mood even if it seems a very quick transition. I don't think doctors recognize this.

W

warriorprincess

I hadn't heard of labile either but now it makes sense I've read some other posts about it.

But I was gona say in reply to how you're feeling - being irritable but high, I would say too that when I'm high I am very happy, but lately when I've been stressed and down I've noticed how I get some manic phases but they are different in how I act, to my usual manic highs. I guess cuz Im mostly in a low so it's come out in irritability and snapping, like you mention. Instead of just blanking it out as I would usually when I'm in a depression, the little boost of the high I feel when I'm like this, it makes me very reactive - in situations I normally wouldn't give a shit about.

I am thinking that these are mixed states, which seems to ring true with what others are saying and how you feel.

I hope this makes sense. It's a relatively new thing for me too, I'd always been either high, low or just maintaining (for the seldem few days that happened) but now it seems I have these mixed episodes too.

xxx

W

warriorprincess

also Jax, I think i saw you wanted to put some pics up and it is possible - you have to create an album - I found it on my profile page. May upload some pics myself too, would be interested to see yours xx

dib4uk

dib4uk

Ahhhh, i've been very close to this or infact had this when i was very manciy last year. Its horrible when that happens, one minute laughing but wanting to cry the next minute and then getting angry for no real reason.... Now im more stable than last year but still unstable because of my personality disorder and my insane moood swings i have.