• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

la la la i'm not listening.

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
Hi all.

This is my first new post for over a week, might be a bit of a rant.

I feel like i am getting nowhere. I seen my psychiatrist last week for a follow up. My cpn came along as she wanted to get the psych to change my medication completely as she feels it is no longer having any benificial effect.
During the session she told the psch that she and other staff at the groups i attend have seen and reported seing me getting hypo-manic during groups even though i have taken the required morning medication doses.

Was the medication changed, was it f!*k. All that was changed was the morning and night doses. I now have to take the fluoxetine as normal while taking 100 mg of the carbamazepine in the morning and 300mg at night as this will help me to sleep. Yeah it helps me to sleep but leaves me feeling increadibly drowsy and groggy through out the day. Why don't these people listen, don't they give a hoot.

To be honest i feel i am loosing faith in the mental health service.

One peeved forum member :mad:

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Colin very sorry to hear that you have had such an unsatisfactory experience with your psychiatrist. It sounds as though you have a supportive cpn though? Would it be possible for you to ask for another appointment with the psych fairly soon? I know it sounds a bit stupid but in a way it is positive that you are aware enough to know that you are being mis-treated and to get angry about it - I used to just accept whatever was told me/prescribed/advised and never question it (which is not good :)).

Let us know how you are getting on anyway.

Nick.

R

rusaved

Founding Member
Hi Colin.

You might be losing faith in the mental health service, but how's your faith in God?
For me, my psychiatrist was not helpful - although very experienced and knowledgable, I found my local minister totally spot on and very helpful, understanding and wise. He listened, accepted and encouraged me every step of the way.

It's been a journey of forward and backward steps, and times of wanting to give up, but I feel I am gradually progressing overall. I gradually reduced my medication over time (carefully so as not to worry anyone) , and have been off them for 2 years, now.

Prayer is very helpful, especially when all our own efforts fail, and even more effective when others pray for you as well, but we need to stick at it even when we don't feel like it, and even when it looks like it's not working.

Medication helped me function while God worked through issues in my life one at time. He undertands totally more than any Dr or minister or person ever could. God has more power over the enemy's hold in the mind if we
tap into it and learn more about Him.

The Dr's won't be supportive or understanding in this area, but I think it's the most important and under used area of recovery. Hope you're not put off. Hope it's an encouragement to you and to others.

Peace be to you.

D

Dollit

I'm sure you find great comfort in your beliefs and your religion, however there are many belief systems represented on this forum and many people are quite open about them. We find it helpful to say what helped us and leave it to others to decide for themselves if they want to follow that path but we shouldn't assume that just because a course isn't mentioned it hasn't or isn't being followed.

I'm an atheist and glad of it and so wouldn't go to see a minister or a priest but it would be interesting to hear what other steps you have taken to become well, if you are well at the moment.

And I would not swap the experience and knowledge of my wonderful GP or my fantastic consultant for someone who is untrained in mental health matters no matter their religious beliefs. Horses for courses.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
These last two posts remind me of 'mindfullness' as a secular approach (though it could be argued to share a lot with Budhism). I've bought the book (The Mindful Way Through Depression) but have not read it through as ironically it made me feel worse. I think there is a long post somewhere on the forum about mindfulness and its uses but it does strike me as a secular alternative to prayer? Anyway - just a thought.

D

Dollit

I have been practising mindfulness for a couple of years now and have meditated since my late teens and don't use mindfulness as a secular substitute for prayer. I use it to help me maintain stability and peace. It keeps me in the present, which is where I should be.

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I try to be in the present. I use "The Mindful Way Through Depression" book and CD and have also practised Tai Chi. It is still a challenge but it is something that I think is worth trying to achieve. :tea:

D

Dollit

Just noticed that HQ mentions Buddhism - mindfulness is adapted from the Buddhist mindfulness meditation

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
I'm not particularly religious but some Buddhist writings do seem to make sense to me with regard to how to live life. :tea:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi there Blackdog... maybe I should persist with "The Mindful Way Through Depression". Being in the present would certainly help - stop my mind flying off on its self-destructive jaunts :)

blackdog

blackdog

Founding Member
Hi Honeyquince, I think it would help me, I'm still working towards it but I think that one of my problems is that I overthink and overanylyse everything and none of the results are positive. So if I can learn to be in the present I think it would help stop these negative thoughts leading me into downward spirals, well it's got to be worth a bash. :tea:

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
Hi all.

This is my first new post for over a week, might be a bit of a rant.

I feel like i am getting nowhere. I seen my psychiatrist last week for a follow up. My cpn came along as she wanted to get the psych to change my medication completely as she feels it is no longer having any benificial effect.
During the session she told the psch that she and other staff at the groups i attend have seen and reported seing me getting hypo-manic during groups even though i have taken the required morning medication doses.

Was the medication changed, was it f!*k. All that was changed was the morning and night doses. I now have to take the fluoxetine as normal while taking 100 mg of the carbamazepine in the morning and 300mg at night as this will help me to sleep. Yeah it helps me to sleep but leaves me feeling increadibly drowsy and groggy through out the day. Why don't these people listen, don't they give a hoot.

To be honest i feel i am loosing faith in the mental health service.

One peeved forum member :mad:
hah haaaa welsome to my world. I nod appreciatively to my psych then ignore everything they say - keeps me sane

(somewhat amusing in retrospect) whilst somewhat manic I was getting clerked into the hospital with the doc. I told him what he should prescribe me. He then looked at me like " I don't understand" I sighed heavily and looked at him like he was the patient and said " we are not getting this are we? " got what I wanted and I know take what I need. I have a stash put away for self prescribing when it all gets too much - works for me - kinda - you should try it

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Blackdog - scary - you sound just like me!;)