• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Known issues with Sertraline and Aripiprazole

B

bazza

Hi There i am currently taking the above meds and have recently gone right back down. the reason I have decided to join this forum is to see if anyone can offer support or have experienced the same with these meds taken together.
I have been on these meds for 9 months and overall have worked really well but in the past 4 weeks I have gone right back down and am unsure of what to do. Anyone experienced this and know of a solution?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm on 50mg of Sertraline, 10mg of Aripiprazole and 4mg of Risperidone.

I can't report any drop in potency and I've been on them for years.

All I can suggest is to talk to your prescribing doctor to either get an increase if you're not already on the maximum dosage or for a change in brand.

I hope you start feeling more like your best self soon, take care Bazza!

Z

Zoe1

hi Bazza :welcome:

not those meds no, but I have had alot of trouble with meds
and lots of changes of medication

I found it was important to be communicating
to the doctors about my side effects
and would write it all down before the appointment
I think this has helped to get me on the right meds

its not perfect but near as

:grouphug:🌝🕯🎼

B

bazza

hi widdi and zoe 1 thanks for repling im taking 50 sertraline and 10ml of aripiprazole perhaps my dose isn't high enough.what isrisperidone and what do u take it for if u don't mind me asking.I take my meds for depression and anxiety,I was taking Prozac before the sertraline but couldn't get hold of it but don't think there is a lot of difference between the two.Ive only been on the aripiprazole 9 mnths starting on 5mg increasing to 10mg when I was low in mood,which seems to be happening again idont see my psychiatrist till next month will just have to see how things go.thanks again for replying.take care.x

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
what is risperidone and what do u take it for if u don't mind me asking.
Risperidone is another type of anti-psychotic, with a high dose of Aripiprazole I had severely restless legs so my prescribing doctor allowed me to lower the dose from 30mg down to 10mg and we decided to add a medium dose of Risperidone because I still needed my Dopamine levels to be lowered more than the Aripiprazole could do on its own.

B

bazza

hi widdi and zoe 1 thanks for repling im taking 50 sertraline and 10ml of aripiprazole perhaps my dose isn't high enough.what isrisperidone and what do u take it for if u don't mind me asking.I take my meds for depression and anxiety,I was taking Prozac before the sertraline but couldn't get hold of it but don't think there is a lot of difference between the two.Ive only been on the aripiprazole 9 mnths starting on 5mg increasing to 10mg when I was low in mood,which seems to be happening again idont see my psychiatrist till next month will just have to see how things go.thanks again for replying.take care.x
Risperidone is another type of anti-psychotic, with a high dose of Aripiprazole I had severely restless legs so my prescribing doctor allowed me to lower the dose from 30mg down to 10mg and we decided to add a medium dose of Risperidone because I still needed my Dopamine levels to be lowered more than the Aripiprazole could do on its own.

B

bazza

hi that's interesting to know I too may need my dopamine levels to be lowered thanks for that.what is the usual dose for aripiprazole do u know is it higher than what im taking.when he first started me on the aripiprazole it was 5mg and it was great but my mood dipped after about 6months so he reluctantly upped it to 10 mg now its happened again low mood etc so maybe its not high enough,also do u know if its addictive.thanks for that.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I believe the maximum dose for Aripiprazole is 30mg but as I said at that dosage I had restlessness in my legs so had to keep standing up and moving around until it passed.

I don't think it's addictive as such but you might experience withdrawal effects if you were to come off them cold turkey and not by reducing the dosage gradually.

If you had posted this in our 'Psychiatric Drugs/Medications' section you would have seen this safety notice.

Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

So we always try to inform people that questions regarding psychiatric medications should always be put to your prescribing doctor but our members here will be able to give you personal stories of their experiences on certain drugs.

B

bazza

has anyone else taken aripiprazole with another antidepressant or psychiatric other than sertraline,thanks.