• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Knowing when an episode is coming

C

Comorbidity

Can you tell me about the C-PTSD? My DH is a combat vet, and had a PTSD diagnosis before my son got sick, and then a couple years of unrelenting trauma due to that, ending with his loss. I feel that watching the situation in Kabul unfold triggered this episode, and my son’s death triggered the one before.

What are your C-PTSD symptoms like? How do you distinguish them from bipolar?
It's quite a lot to write and I'm not altogether sure it's good for me to think about it as it makes me remember and have involuntary flashes and images of things it isn't healthy for me to think about as they can be triggers and start a chain reaction of escalating thoughts, images and feelings and my constantly feeling under attack and that I'm being attacked and can trigger a manic episode in combination with that and put me right back to where I was or even worse than in my mother of all episodes it was developed through.

Hope that helps, it's the best I can do safely, as Keith rightly said, the C-PTSD being triggered can quickly trigger a severe manic episode, as can severe life trauma, such as bereavement, which from my own experiences I would say your belief of how your DH was triggered is likely very accurate

H

HisWife

It's quite a lot to write and I'm not altogether sure it's good for me to think about it as it makes me remember and have involuntary flashes and images of things it isn't healthy for me to think about as they can be triggers and start a chain reaction of escalating thoughts, images and feelings and my constantly feeling under attack and that I'm being attacked and can trigger a manic episode in combination with that and put me right back to where I was or even worse than in my mother of all episodes it was developed through.

Hope that helps, it's the best I can do safely, as Keith rightly said, the C-PTSD being triggered can quickly trigger a severe manic episode, as can severe life trauma, such as bereavement, which from my own experiences I would say your belief of how your DH was triggered is likely very accurate
Thanks!

X

Xaoc

I usually notice something is going on... especially depression. But it doesn't feel like a normal depression it is more like: something strange is happening...

Then over a period of time the physical symptoms come (I get tired, have nightmares etc.). I also do odd things like listen to ssad songs and cry while driving the car.

Usually I have the hindsight to tell my boss I am not feeling so well (they know I am Bipolar).

Mania kind of comes out of nowhere...one second I am really sad..the next I am happy and full of energy then sad again.

I don't "feel" I notice my behaviour when it starts to get bad. My medicine keeps me from really feeling what a "normal" episode is like...what is something that sometimes is irritating because I think "why can I just feel being happy or sad like a normal person!?!"

I have trained myself to be really self aware. I have symptoms...hands shaking (which one of my coworkers I have known for 11 years tells me when I do) this kind of stuff.

I really have to pay attention to my body and my emotions and deal with them. (therapy or just asking for help)

This disease is no fun. It takes a lot of work, but yes...I feel them coming. Sometimes I let it go for too long and it eventually knocks me down.

It is a learning process that I guess never ends.