• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Kinda Scared

R

Randall909

Well I been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and also depression and anxiety for about 6 years now. Me and my fiancee live with her mother and have been for 7 years now. We love one another alot but it's been trying. Ok so I have never held a job before because i just cant very around people or have certain stresses cause it triggers my symptoms. Well my fiancee gets so upset with me cause I have no job and no money because she said she wants a happy life and a home and be comfortable. I know shes not asking for much but the idea of a job just scares me so bad and stresses me. I have been trying for at least 6 years to get on disability but I cant seem to approve. I even had a lawyer and no success. I feel so ashamed and shes even threatened to leave me and get rid of me. I dont know what to do i really wish i could get approved for disability because i have all the symptoms of my disorders. I dont know why i wasnt selected. Any ideas on what to do?

jajingna

jajingna

Man, 6 years? Seems you ought to have been approved for disability long ago.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Randall and welcome to the forum. I hope you will get advice from members about claiming disability. I am in the UK so I am unable to.

T

timing

On social security, keep appealing. Generally by the third time it is before an administrative judge. My husband was approved by a judge after a hearing, where I went with him. The judge was particularly interested in what he did during the day. I was able to communicate his needs and our attempts to keep his mind active and lower his stress levels. This was a 5 year process.

I was approved on the 1st appeal by designating my daughter as my advocate, enabling her to have direct communication on my case status with the office of social security. The approval went pretty fast after they sent me to their psyciatrist. This was an 18 month process.

There were many times we wanted to give up. My husband and I were both diagnosed as bipolar. In general, I believe the process can be done without a lawyer.