• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Killing Schizophrenics

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Killing Schizophrenics -

A lot of truth in this article -

Killing “Schizophrenics”: Contemporary U.S. Psychiatry Versus Nazi Psychiatry - Mad In America

Killing “Schizophrenics”: Contemporary U.S. Psychiatry Versus Nazi Psychiatry

"In any society that prioritizes economic efficiency, productivity and order above life and all of life’s varieties, people experiencing altered and extreme emotional states will be seen as defective and as burdens—monkey wrenches that disturb the societal assembly line.

To be clear, contemporary American society is not Nazi-German society when it comes to treating people labeled with “serious mental illness,” as it is taboo in American society to directly murder this population as was done in Nazi Germany. But in the United States in the earlier part of the twentieth century, there was widespread compulsory sterilization of those diagnosed with serious mental illness; and from the 1970s through the early 1990s, dehumanizing experiments that ignored the Nuremberg Code of research ethics were administered on this population by prominent American psychiatrists. And today in contemporary American society, apparently it is acceptable for this population to die, on average, 25 years prematurely without challenging the authorities in charge of treating them. More later on psychiatry’s blame for this premature death rate."

"When people get treated as unwelcome burdens, they can become angry and agitated or, depending on their temperament, become passively dysfunctional."

Ain't that the truth.......

F

firemonkee57

Whilst I think there needs to be a drive to improve mental health care/psychiatry this kind of extremist/sensationalist article is not conducive to that purpose.
Harping back to past practices in psychiatry helps and is as relevant as harping back to the use of leeches ,and using that as something to beat today's surgeons with.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Whilst I think there needs to be a drive to improve mental health care/psychiatry this kind of extremist/sensationalist article is not conducive to that purpose.
Harping back to past practices in psychiatry helps and is as relevant as harping back to the use of leeches ,and using that as something to beat today's surgeons with.
i don't agree with the primary biomedical focus.

i'm Not opposed to a comprehensive psychiatry, potential wise use of medications, judicious use of front end services & the structure of a mental health system. But i do feel the primary focus should be on more comprehensive psychological/social - integral/holistic - whole person centered approaches to treatment, care & support.

tbh there's a lot that i also disagree with about the general medical system as well.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I'm reading a book now titled Staying well After Psychosis: A Cognitive Interpersonal Approach to Recovery and Relapse Prevention, by Andrew Gummley and Matthias Schwannauer.

"- Taking a developmental perspective on help seeking and affect regulation
- Supporting self-reorganization and adaptation after acute psychosis
- Understanding and treating traumatic reactions to psychosis
- Working with feelings and humiliation, entrapment, loss and fear of recurrence
- Working with cognitive interpersonal schemata
- Developing coping in an interpersonal context"

It "provides an individually based psychological intervention targeting emotional recovery and relapse prevention. This approach considers the cognitive, interpersonal and developmental aspects involved in recovery and vulnerability to the recurrence of psychosis."

I feel it is a good book, but I find it very difficult to read. I have to read much of it two or three times before I comprehend what they are saying. It is a very complex(technical?) style of writing, written for the mental health professional, not for the client/consumer/patient.

I wonder if things like what they teach in this book goes through my therapists head as she deals with me, or if she just kind of "wings" it, like basically having no treatment plan at all. I think the type of therapy she does with me is called "supportive therapy."

F

fidget

oh sweet jesus, that film brought me out in a rash.
it has inspired me to make my own anti stigma film though which will just be me crying till i vomit and then smearing the vomit on the walls and in my hair. It can be called discipline with this cheery soundtrack

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
oh sweet jesus, that film brought me out in a rash.
it has inspired me to make my own anti stigma film though which will just be me crying till i vomit and then smearing the vomit on the walls and in my hair. It can be called discipline with this cheery soundtrack
Would that be giving out the right message for full recovery in the community?

Ann- Little Britain "Feeding the ducks" - YouTube

F

fidget

i would do it on my lunch break in the loos of the recovery college where i was working as a recovery star, obvs

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i would do it on my lunch break in the loos of the recovery college where i was working as a recovery star, obvs
Well, it does sound like a good idea. Could you write to Prince Charles, Teresa May & the Queen to ask for some funding for it all?

i may make a video challenging stigma, documenting my self therapy where i roll around naked on the floor with an erection making funny noises before shitting myself & throwing it up the walls.

Would also like to work as a recovery star gardener & talk with the plants.

Trigger Happy TV - Friendly Gardener - YouTube

W

WELLAn63

It seems to me that if hospital is portrayed as the ultimate happy house and the young are seen as screaming banshees and comedy is seen as finding anybody with a disability as freaks not to be shown compassion then the plague of stigma will be fed and never out of sight for people who experience heightened states of reality.

The fact remains that if people like myself were to make complete recovery there would be a whole industry which would not be needed and therefore the money spent on serving us in so called care and the benefits gained by those doing the service ie psychiatric nurses, doctors, psychiatrists, cleaners, carpenters, engineers, comedians, drug companies etc etc would be out of a job. Everybody feeds of people like me and the so called care doesn't exist. And the stigma helps keep the industry alive and thriving.

F

fidget

Well, it does sound like a good idea. Could you write to Prince Charles, Teresa May & the Queen to ask for some funding for it all?

i may make a video challenging stigma, documenting my self therapy where i roll around naked on the floor with an erection making funny noises before shitting myself & throwing it up the walls.

Would also like to work as a recovery star gardener & talk with the plants.

Trigger Happy TV - Friendly Gardener - YouTube

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I can ask my care coordinator to help me write the letters and fill in funding applications.:D

I think your video sounds truly inspiring CPU. It is the least you can do to contribute to society despite being a certified useless eater. I look forward to it

Last edited: