Kicked out of 2 jobs...2 homes...and 2 hotels.

S

Swissblue

How do you get a bipolar to continue taking their medication when you are not physically with them?

How do you reason with a bipolar?

What language style do you use to communicate with a bipolar?

This is regarding my daughter. Like the title says...its tough. She never lasts in any community beyond 5 months. That's around when people can't have her around anymore.

When she is taking her medication, everything is beautiful. She functions normally and there is no chaos. But she keeps on stopping them whenever I am not there to make sure she is taking them.

Talking to her and trying to reason with her is not working. She can't be reasoned with. I've googled until I can't Google anymore, tried different communication styles. It's in one ear, out the other. And this is a grown woman, not a child. I still have hope, but I'm losing it quickly.

Any advice?

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Is she seeing a professional? Have they tried talking to her?

At the end of the day, as a family member you cant force her to have her medication, even if its affecting her life not having it, all you can do is make sure the professionals treating her know and they are the best ones to try make sure she understands she must take her medication :hug:

as far as i know anyways :hug:

aspieguy1984

aspieguy1984

Unfortunately, like midnightphoenix said theres nothing you can do. She needs to get it in her head shes got to take them. I was in the same boat as her. It took me losing alot to figure it out. Havnt missed a dose of meds in 3 months now.

G

goodgollymiss

The doctor almost forced me to get a needle every month

G

goodgollymiss

It may be called a depot. If the doctors suspect that you are not taking your pills, then they can force you to take injections. Not sure if the side effects are worse. They also can force people to take cognitive behavioural therapy. It's usually done for schizophrenia. But that may be an extreme approach. Are you sure that massage therapy may help or maybe a yoga retreat