• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Ketamine help

M

Momto5

Hello all,
I went through multiple ketamine infusions this summer, but didn't feel like they were very effective. Stumbled across an article that mentioned that benzodiazepines could negatively impact results and shouldn't be taken in close time frame as ketamine infusion. My clinic had me take a zofran (for nausea) and a lorazepam (a benzodiazepene)1 hour prior to each treatment! I don't know if that could have impacted my results.
So I am curious... has anyone else who has tried ketamine been advised either way on benzodiazepines before an infusion?

2Much2Feel

Hello all,
I went through multiple ketamine infusions this summer, but didn't feel like they were very effective. Stumbled across an article that mentioned that benzodiazepines could negatively impact results and shouldn't be taken in close time frame as ketamine infusion. My clinic had me take a zofran (for nausea) and a lorazepam (a benzodiazepene)1 hour prior to each treatment! I don't know if that could have impacted my results.
So I am curious... has anyone else who has tried ketamine been advised either way on benzodiazepines before an infusion?
Hey, @Momto5, yes I have. I had infusions summer of 2020, and at that time they made it clear to me that Benzos can dampen results and that it was best if I could go without the zofran as well, which I did. The ketamine really worked for about 3 months. Then I forgot all about that when I went in this past summer for the nasal spray esketamine and was on a higher dose of Benzos. I don't know for sure if that was the reason for it being ineffective this time or if it was because it was in nasal spray form.

In any case, I did end up doing quite a bit of research into it and found peer review articles that did find that Benzos can dampen the potential effects of ketamine. I had to fill in my shrink, and he said going forward he will make sure his patients are aware. Unfortunately that didn't get me that chunk of money back that it costs and the time lost trying to get better. Really hope you find something that works or that you can do it again with this in mind. xx

M

Momto5

Hey, @Momto5, yes I have. I had infusions summer of 2020, and at that time they made it clear to me that Benzos can dampen results and that it was best if I could go without the zofran as well, which I did. The ketamine really worked for about 3 months. Then I forgot all about that when I went in this past summer for the nasal spray esketamine and was on a higher dose of Benzos. I don't know for sure if that was the reason for it being ineffective this time or if it was because it was in nasal spray form.

In any case, I did end up doing quite a bit of research into it and found peer review articles that did find that Benzos can dampen the potential effects of ketamine. I had to fill in my shrink, and he said going forward he will make sure his patients are aware. Unfortunately that didn't get me that chunk of money back that it costs and the time lost trying to get better. Really hope you find something that works or that you can do it again with this in mind.

M

Momto5

Thanks 2Much2Feel
I met with my psych on Monday. I asked him about the benzos. He got irritated and defensive that I questioned him. I had a bunch of articles to share with him and he wasn't having it. I even had correspondence from a Columbia University doctor who said no to benzos. He promptly ended our session. I left there so angry and in tears.
Looking back, there were so many red flags with this doc. Originally he said I would only need 8 treatments (I did around 20). Bumped me up from .5 to 1ml ketamine after like 12 sessions. Then bumped me up to 2. He even said he was going to next move me up to 3. I am not a big person... 5'4" and 145 pounds. With every doc I contacted and everything I read, .5-1 is the usual dose. Some may occasionally go up to 2. One doc I contacted said that there is no evidence to support dosing in the 2-3 range.
I am angry at myself that I didn't put the brakes on earlier. I want to feel better. I spent over $10,000 out of pocket. I know that it is tough beans for me. I am going to research though to see if I can report him to someone to prevent this from happening to someone else.