• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Ketamine - has anyone tried it?

megirl

megirl

Ketamine in the past has been known to be a horse tranquilizer
Apparently it can be a good relaxant

J

Jwp1978

I live in the United States and have been on ketamine treatment prescribed by my doctor for the last 2 months. I have done 5 sessions. It is administered through a nasal spray which is the worst thing I have ever tasted in my life. The drip lasts about 15 minutes. I have suffered from severe depression most of my life and was in the hospital in December. Ketamine has changed my life. I no longer feel depressed at all. The experiences are so intense I would have a hard time describing them in words. I only had one bad experience but the rest have been life altering. I highly recommend anyone suffering from severe depression search out a doctor who can prescribe this. The cost is very high but my insurance covered it.

J

JCPraha

It is interesting that ketamine has helped you so much. I was under the impression that the effects of it do not last very long. Is that the case with you? I really hope that the positive effects are long lasting in your case. I would be interested to see how you feel. I am considering trying ketamine myself. Please let me know and thank you for posting.

J

Jwp1978

I wasnt specific enough about my treatment. I am taking esketamine. Ketamine is made from 2 components and that is one of them. The name of the medication i am taking is sprovato. It is a nasal spray administerd in 3 doses 5 minutes apart. After the second spray I can feel it coming on. About ten minutes after the 3rd spray is when it really kicks in. I put a wrap around my eyes because its much more comfortable not seeing any light. The whole experience lasts about 30 minutes. It is intense but then its just over. Its not like a slow descent it just comes to a complete stop abruptly and then im back. The real benefits of the treatment occur the next day. After treatment I am tired but when I wake up the next day I have a new attitude. I went from being suicidal and hospitalized in December to being fully functional now. I've had 7 treatments and something has really changed in me. I get so much more done. Things actually seem enjoyable now. I can just get up and do things. My anxiety has decreased dramatically. I would highly recommend this treatment for anyone who has dealt with long term depression and suicidal thoughts unless your Dr. Doesnt think its a good idea for you.

J

JCPraha

It sounds like an excellent experience for you. I suppose I should try it, since I have treatment resistant depression that does not respond well to any medications. It is an amazing turnaround for you. It is very encouraging that it helped you. I hope the effects remain well for a very long time. Thanks for contributing.

D

Depressionblows

Hey LiveByTheSea—i hope you don’t mind a spouse’s point of view on Ketamine Therapy. My husband was diagnosed with BPII in 2010 & has been going through what has to be one of the longest stretches of depression I’ve seen; coming up on 3 years this month. He went in for his 1st Ketamine Infusion in November 2020 and experienced VERY positive results. For him it took about 14 days before the Ketamine actually “kicked in”. When he’s depressed, he is extremely irritable, and after his 1st round of Ketamine he was literally hell to live with for those 14 days. Said absolutely terrible & hateful things to me. However, on the 14th day it was almost as if a light switch had been flipped. He started thinking before speaking, his mood did a complete 180 and i nearly cried when I heard him speak to someone on the phone. I hadn’t heard him speak with such vibrancy, passion & respect in so many years!!! He would call me at work to tell me that he could “feel his emotion returning”; something that has been absent for a very long time.
He wanted another infusion b/c he thought he needed it, so I set aside money from a closing (I’m a real estate broker) so he could have a 2nd treatment. The problem I saw was that he has no “daily routine” in place, so the Ketamine Infusion, while it truly is a miracle treatment for depression, is not a permanent solution for him b/c he just goes right back to his old ways. He doesn’t do anything such as exercise, meditate, journal, keep a regular schedule, etc. These are all routines that every individual with a mental illness needs to adopt in order to help keep the serotonin/ dopamine chugging along regularly throughout the brain. Without a “schedule” or “routine”, this wonder treatment turns into nothing more than an expensive hallucinogen. He’s mentioned to me several times that he would like to have a 3rd treatment, and I’ve had to tell him that I would be happy to arrange it, but only once he’s managed to consistently maintain 30 days of some type of a routine. So far it hasn’t happened. 🙁
However, to answer your initial question, Ketamine is absolutely a wonderful option. I’ve 1st hand seen it do wonders. The Infusion isn’t typically covered by health insurance, however Spravato is the nasal spray equivalent & you can usually get some type of coverage directly through the manufacturer. I also learned a couple of weeks ago that they’ve launched Ketamine IM (intramuscular), which is also covered by insurance. I can tell you that here in CO we paid $250 per treatment for each Infusion, which we had done at a Pain Mgmt Clinic. I believe (don’t quote me on this) they recommend no more than a 6-treatment plan, as it is so very highly addictive. The Infusion is roughly a 2-hr appt & you would need make arrangements to have someone pick you up b/c you will be pretty much useless for the rest of the day. As the Ketamine initially works it’s way through your system, it reboots your brain so it’s important that you do not do anything stressful alter your treatment. Relaxation & sleep are all that should be attempted alter your appointment. 😊
My apologies for the War & Peace post; hopefully this will be of help to you. The very best of luck to you & my thoughts are with you. ❤💚❤

D

Depressionblows

Just a sidebar—while I am positive everyone is 100% different, I did want to say that several days (but less than the 14) days after my husband received his 2nd Infusion, he had a migraine and stopped to get some gummies. Remember, MJ is totally legal in CO. He took the gummies and while the label said they had a very low THC %, they still contained THC. I believe that the ingestion of the MJ altered the success of his 2nd Ketamine Infusion considerably. I know it took nearly 30 days before that 2nd infusion finally “cured”, which was over double the amount of time it took prior. I know in the past if he’s smoked or used edibles for a migraine he’s gotten relief from it but the next day it’s like a boomerang—I can guarantee a BP episode. I think MJ is a great option, but again, not a good solution for my BLII husband, sadly. **Wasn’t my intent to switch topics; just wanted to throw that out there. 👍👍