• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Keeping the house tidy with depression.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Nope! lol. My house is full of lovely things but they're all covered in dust and dirt because I simply CANNOT deal with doing housework.

So all I can say is, you're not alone!

JessisMe

JessisMe

Baby steps. Challenge yourself to do just one thing and stick to it. Then one other small thing, maybe on a different day. It might still be hard keeping up with things but better than letting it slide altogether. It will feel good to have accomplished too and that will help some with the depression. xo, j

Pedr

Pedr

Wish I could recommend a technique but all I've tried haven't worked. If you haven't already, be sure to read Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by Burns. Lots of ideas there and it's like $2. HTH

M

Maggie21

Thanks i will look it up.
i am going to try JessIsMe suggestion and also making lists and having a thankfulness book etc.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I need to be more organized. Whenever I get a piece of mail that I've opened, I just throw it on the floor, like this:
20210906_114421.jpg20210906_114437.jpg

S

SadRainbow

It's weird because I'm not finding housework too awful right now despite being very depressed... Not saying I'm keeping the house spotless or anything but I don't seem to mind doing things like washing up, laundry, tidying... I suppose they feel fairly straightforward tasks that I can actually manage and at least I'm doing something useful.

M

Maggie21

I need to be more organized. Whenever I get a piece of mail that I've opened, I just throw it on the floor, like this:
View attachment 45892View attachment 45893
At least it doesn’t look too dusty. It reminds me of my house! But mine is more dusty. My support worker actually recommended that i have carers daily to prompt me to clean up but i did not feel i was that bad to need that level of support neither do i want to need it. It would be quite an intrusion into my life to have carers come only to nag me to clean up. They are not doing the cleaning only trying to get me to do it. I have a job and am working now and would rather find a way to cope myself. My support worker would have me be really dependant and unable to cope alone. His co workers tell me he lives in an immaculate house whereas all my family are fairly messy at times.

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

I'd be resistant to carers encouraging me to do things I don't want to do (like cleaning). I'd just lie and tell them I did something. And then eventually I'd just stop answering their calls.

JessisMe

JessisMe

It's weird because I'm not finding housework too awful right now despite being very depressed... Not saying I'm keeping the house spotless or anything but I don't seem to mind doing things like washing up, laundry, tidying... I suppose they feel fairly straightforward tasks that I can actually manage and at least I'm doing something useful.
That’s great, congratulations! xo, j

JessisMe

JessisMe

I'd be resistant to carers encouraging me to do things I don't want to do (like cleaning). I'd just lie and tell them I did something. And then eventually I'd just stop answering their calls.
That’s sad, it seems like your carers were trying to help you but you didn’t want to do the work of helping yourself. Have you been able to get past this and do more for yourself at this point or are you still stuck?

stevie_sloth

stevie_sloth

Oh! No, I've never had carers. My post was just saying what I'd do if I DID have them.

I hide my mental issues from most people. I live with my partner and we luckily have recently found a really nice cleaner who comes twice a month to keep on top of the housework. Vacuuming, dusting, etc.

I just joke that I'm an "undomesticated goddess" to hide the embarrassment.

So yeah. Carers or not, I'm still VERY much stuck.

M

Maggie21

Oh! No, I've never had carers. My post was just saying what I'd do if I DID have them.

I hide my mental issues from most people. I live with my partner and we luckily have recently found a really nice cleaner who comes twice a month to keep on top of the housework. Vacuuming, dusting, etc.

I just joke that I'm an "undomesticated goddess" to hide the embarrassment.

So yeah. Carers or not, I'm still VERY much stuck.
If you can afford a cleaner and have this problem then its a Godsend if you can afford a cleaner. I can’t afford one right now and don’t have room for a dishwasher. Unless it a table top one that is then i might have room. Anyone try a tabletop dishwasher? You can get one for about £200.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I set a 20 or 30 minute timer to get something done. Sometimes I feel able to set it for 60. Sometimes I have to force myself to set it for only 10 , but something gets done instead of nothing. 💗