• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Keeping childhood stuffed animals?

Have you kept your favourite childhood toy?

• Yes

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
D

Drama_llama

What are your opinions on keeping your childhood favourite toys? In my family, my older siblings never kept any of theirs, though my mum kept them. I still live at home and can’t bear to part with my dearest ones.

I have a toy dog that I’ve had since I was born. He’s been everywhere. I used to take him where ever I went, and if I’m being honest, I still take him everywhere, not everywhere, but if I’m going away for a few nights I’ll take him. Some might think that’s childish, but it’s a comfort thing. If I’m ever away from home I feel better taking this toy with me, it’s like bringing a piece of home with me and makes me more comfortable.

other toys I’ve kept, are things that my grandpa or family members who are no longer here got me, you know sentimental ones. Is this childish of me? Should I just grow up does anyone else still keep their childhood toys? I’m going to be honest I don’t hug mine to get to sleep, although sometimes when I’m really anxious I do as it helps me to sleep for some reason. I have about 4 teddies that sit on my bed and one and two really small ones that sit on a shelf. Should I stop this? Move them into storage somewhere?

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

I still have a lot of mine. I think if I'd had children I might have passed them down, but that has not happen and I'm not hopeful it ever will. My grandpa passed away when I was 16 and there was a big teddy bear in his house. I think it was possible my grandma's but he was 92, and still had a stuffed animal. Even if it was from his late wife. Admittedly I have been known to still buy them on occasion.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

I have one toy, that was my favourite. I don't really take it anywhere it lives on a shelf but it has lots of positive memories associated with it. Used to take it everywhere with my father. People have different coping mechanism, maybe in the past stuffed toys helped eased things for you. As humans we are creatures of habit. Especially when it comes to what soothes us. Whether it is childish or not is beside the point. It may be worth instead exploring why you need them?

Z

Zoe1

2 battered old bears , out of a collection we had
of 16 soft toys

I used to feed them trying to make them come alive !

🐢 🎼

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

2 battered old bears , out of a collection we had
of 16 soft toys

I used to feed them trying to make them come alive !

🐢 🎼
After I first saw the Childs Play movie I locked mine up in a closet, then I was afraid they would all get mad at me for locking them up so I took them out.

Lizaje

Lizaje

I can relate to the sentiment, but my religion forbids me from keeping such things. Weirdness doesn't matter, but if you feel held back, you could explore your reasons.

D

Drama_llama

I can relate to the sentiment, but my religion forbids me from keeping such things. Weirdness doesn't matter, but if you feel held back, you could explore your reasons.
I don’t feel held back by it, I just thought it would be nice for me to keep them. My toy dog was a big part of my childhood, I think it’s just as a reminder of that, maybe? Poor things all battered and has a few bald patches now though. I think that’s why I kept him - just as a wee reminder of my childhood.

Lizaje

Lizaje

I don’t feel held back by it, I just thought it would be nice for me to keep them. My toy dog was a big part of my childhood, I think it’s just as a reminder of that, maybe? Poor things all battered and has a few bald patches now though. I think that’s why I kept him - just as a wee reminder of my childhood.
So long as it doesn't hinder you in living in the present day and in being aware that one day you'll die. Then you'll leave everything behind anyway.

B

bpd2020

I think it is lovely you want to keep childhood toys. They clearly give you comfort and security. You are not doing any harm at all.

D

Drama_llama

I think it is lovely you want to keep childhood toys. They clearly give you comfort and security. You are not doing any harm at all.
Yeah, it’s just as a childhood reminder. Maybe someday if I have kids of my own, I can pass them on to them.

N

Nukelavee

The teddy bear I got when I was first adopted, at 6 months, sits on my beside table. He's a keepsake.