• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Keep failing at making changes

G

Gingerpinemonkey

I keep trying to make positive changes in my life but quickly lose motivation and feel like I’ve failed. For example I tried to teach myself programming, it became too hard and I quit, I tried dieting and again I fail after a few days. I’ve tried small changes like 5 minutes meditation, but soon relapse into not doing it. I also fail regularly by taking drugs which essentially soothe my boredom and the not very big life that I have. Anyone else had experiences of keeping failing at the changes one wants to implement in their life. I’m determined not to give up in the long run.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

I keep trying to make positive changes in my life but quickly lose motivation and feel like I’ve failed. For example I tried to teach myself programming, it became too hard and I quit, I tried dieting and again I fail after a few days. I’ve tried small changes like 5 minutes meditation, but soon relapse into not doing it. I also fail regularly by taking drugs which essentially soothe my boredom and the not very big life that I have. Anyone else had experiences of keeping failing at the changes one wants to implement in their life. I’m determined not to give up in the long run.
well with bipolar one problem ive had is i take up tasks when im manic then eventually the depression comes and i cant continue with the tasks. it can also confuse poeple in my life. because they see me when my serotonin is up then a few weeks later it might be down and they dont understand why im acting different.

soul searching

soul searching

I have a similar problem. What I'm trying to do is not see it as a failure but a step in the right direction. Then I just keep trying. Progress is ridiculously slow, but I am making progress. Change is a process(like my doctor said) and happens gradually over time.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Hi @Gingerpinemonkey
I'm the same way you are. I try not to let it get me down, though.

E

EclipticNight

Yep same here as well. Takes me an age to do anything because i loose modivation so quickly if its not interesting. Ive been trying to teach myself german for years and i still only understand a few phrases and words.