• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

just signed up...

S

sms91

hi
just signed up n needing a bit of a chat/help...
been clinically dignosed as depressed since feb when tryed to overdose myself.. it just all built up over the years and was the straw that broke the camels back thing..
b4 then (wen no1 new how i felt) i got on with it but now since my mum n bf no its like my mum has just turnd on me and my bf dont no/get how i feel... am so stuck n dont no what to do am on anti-depressants but they r starting to not take affect...
any1 got any advice?
thanks x

L

LilMissLost

Hiya sms :)

So you are on antidepressants, how long have you been on them for? How did you feel when you started taking them did the depression get any better?? I see now they are not helping you much have you spoken to the doctor? Maybe you need the dose adjusting or to try a different type. My family generally dont understand that much but i try to talk to people on here about how im feeling, it definetly helps me, im thinking of asking for counselling again aswell and being totally honest this time, i hope you start feeling a bit brighter soon :grouphug: xx

pinkprincess

pinkprincess

Hiya SMS,
I am lucky to have a supportive network in my Mum n BF. I bought a medical book so I could understand what was going on with me as when I first realised I had depression it was quite hard for me to accept as I saw myself as "strong" and that depression didn't happen to people like me. The book really helped and made me realise that it isn't a weakness but a medical condition. I have since passed the book to my BF he was reading it in bed last night he is really good bless him! Mum doesn't really talk about it but gives me Mum-esque pearls of wisdom like "go and have a bath and relax" etc. I have never been very good at relaxing. Sorry I am rambling. Only my very close family know about my depression, I am also on anti-depressants. I have one friend who suffered with it previously and she has been invaluable and the forum has been great so I can see that I am not fully losing the plot!
:grouphug: things will get easier
x

S

sms91

yes i am on anti-depressants been on then since feb and i think i should go bk an seen the gp about upping the dose might just be what i need. it is hard for me to open up to my family n bf as i am scared of upsetting them. but with a lil help n chattin about it i should be able to try n open up a bit more. thats might be what i need who nos. the anti d's helped wen i started them was kinda like i was in a daze tho.
hope use are doing ok.
take care x

pinkprincess

pinkprincess

Hi hun,
It will get easier the thing about the book was that I did not need to talk it was just there for him to read. My Mum has had a lot going on so rely more on BF and his support. It was him that made the suggestion that I should talk to my GP.
:grouphug:

L

LilMissLost

Glad you are going back to see your gp, let us know how you get on, and i reckon a book would be helpful, good idea princess :) i got loads from the library but my bf hasnt looked at any of them or looked it up on net from what i can gather.

His friend has Bipolar 1 and i have Bipolar 2, and because his friend isnt on medication and is managing alright i guess he thinks i should be too. In reality i have just found out i have Bipolar 2 and everything i have ever thought well i dont know whats real anymore, feel as though im expected to pull my socks up and carry on regardless (like always), keep getting told everyone has ups and downs, the depressions have been so low that you cant do anything, in the middle im so moody and got so much flying round in my brain that i cant function properly and when im high i just want to go out and party and spend money! I have been struggling through all my life with this and the only one who seems to understand and be trying to help is my lovely mum who in the last few days has been doing loads of looking on internet trying to help me but has since become aware she may have some issues aswell, it is so so hard but hopefully in your case they will up your antids and all will be well!! sorry for the ramble my head is :confused: Its easy to feel like you are alone but as long as we all have someone to talk to i think it helps a bit take care and speak soon xxx

B

blonde_pink

Hi SMS, I'm back on anti-depressants again now after taking an overdose a month ago. I've been on and off antid's for about 7yrs now. My Mum doesnt really understand and thinks if she ignores my depression, it'll go away. Thats a bit weird coz she's suffered with depression in the past. Sometimes I think she's worried she might catch it again if she spends too much time around me! She tries to show her support in her own little way though - mainly by trying to feed me! I live with my boyfriend, though, and he's brilliant at the support thing. He always knows whether I need a hug or a kick up the arse! I'm fortunate to be a part of his life. He had his own problems in the past with alcohol (but now has 11yrs sobriety), and I'm finding his books on following a 12 step programme really helpful - I just read 'self-harm' wherever the book says 'alcohol'.
Hope you have a good gp who will be able to help.x