• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Just saying

Maitri

Maitri

What censhorship should exist should exist may be a good subject for a thread, in our Debating Chamber.

Past debate, elsewhere, often centres around Facebook and Twitter, whatever.

But just to say, personally, anxiety can arise whenever I catch sight of the daily newspaper headlines, the sheer ignorance that is blazoned across each and every tabloid and all the other so called "up-market" dailys.

When I log in to Facebook, for me, serenity. Friends, pleasant videos, notifications that lead to much of interest.

Kannon

Kannon

There shouldn't be any censorship in the debating chamber, since if you go there you're expecting verbal confrontation on an issue. That's the nature of it.

The only thing that should be removed are obviously irrelevant, crude and violent suggestions or threads.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@Kannon I am not a moderator but rules are very specific and have important reasons.

I wasnt sure if this thread was discussing moderation??

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@Maitri Boris Johnson isn't very good at imposing rules :)

But I like how he has been careful not to control the public to a negative degree during covid.

Rules are good if they are good rules.

I've always been challenging of injustices which has annoyed people in my past ;)

Maitri

Maitri

@Kannon I am not a moderator but rules are very specific and have important reasons.

I wasnt sure if this thread was discussing moderation??
Hi @Tawny, some of my thoughts that led up to the OP were a result of my recent experience here.

But my minds a bit of a dustbin. As far as Forum Moderators, I've been on an unmoderated Forum and it imploded and eventually had to be pulled. On other Forums, the moderators were - in my eyes - mother hens, heavy handed to the point of absurdity.

Given the nature of this Forum (i.e. Mental Health) the Moderators here are excellent.

I've actually been a moderator on one Forum. I'm not really cut out for it, never seeing much wrong (if anything at all) with posts reported to me for attention.

But anyway, no, this Thread as such has nothing to do with this Forum.

Maitri

Maitri

Really, I was "just saying"........not a real big deal, but there just seems so many negative comments (not just on this forum) about Facebook and other such sites, as if they are some sort of anomaly as regards what could be called our cultural norms. In fact, by and large, they simply mirror society at large.

That at a personal level, from my own experience, Facebook is a small island of sanity, even pleasure and joy.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
@Maitri I agree, it is just an avenue for what would go on elsewhere. It is here and here to stay whether we like it or not isn't it. I'm releived i grew up pre-internet. I think i was 15 when computers first came in to school and they were boooring :)