• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Just diagnosed! Would appreciate some info..

updownupdown

updownupdown

Hi!

I've just had a diagnosis of bipolar II and cyclothymia. I've been prescribed sodium valproate. Is anyone else on this drug? What can I expect? I'm just a bit apprehensive that's all.

Any comments would be appreciated :)

B

bluebell24

Hi there,

I have bipolar 2 as well and have been on sodium valproate for the past 4 weeks, also on fluoxetine.

I was severely depressed, only being given the anti-depressants prior to that. The first couple of weeks on valproate I swayed between depressed and numbness but now I feel happy, content ... normal even!

Not sure if I've just been very fortunate but have had no side-effects and am just so delighted to be my old self again!

Good luck & hope you have similarly positive results.

Bluebell

updownupdown

updownupdown

Hi Bluebell,

I'm also on fluoxatine but start the new meds on Monday. Just heard some bad stuff about the side affects, weight and feeling numb etc.

Thanks for your reply, hopefully I'll be ok like you. Quite looking forward to feeling "normal" :)

updownupdown

updownupdown

Hi Dreambuggy,

Thanks for the link. Just looked sodium valporate up and wished I hadn't!

Oh well, I can but try..

Thanks once again :)

D

dreambuggieII

just a word of reassurance

ALL THE MEDS HAVE SIDE EFFECTS

None of them too pretty to read

also we all have different reactions

don't lose faith

keep reading and keep informing yourself about your "condition" its vital that you know whats going on.

you may find along the road you'll discover some very interesting stuff, but at the end of day, you'll know what works best for you.

keep trucking

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hi!

I've just had a diagnosis of bipolar II and cyclothymia. I've been prescribed sodium valproate. Is anyone else on this drug? What can I expect? I'm just a bit apprehensive that's all.

Any comments would be appreciated :)
Hi hon and welcome,

I'm being treated for cyclothymia as well. Am on abilify 15 mg now- and the psych wants to add another medicine but wishes to see how the increase of this drug is working first.

Dont give up hope, theres people here that can help you and understand how your moods are alll over the place. All drugs as pointed out before have side affects but look at it as a trade off. Stable mood and life vs insecurity, uncertanity and who knows what else.

:grouphug: