• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Just diagnosed with bipolar. Am I entitled to any benefits?

S

sally

Hello again, I have just been diagnosed with bipolar and I am taking venaflaxine and lithium. I can feel very unstable at times. I was wondering if i would be entitled to any benefits as i have been unable to work. I am 46 years of age single and have a child 0f 8 years. I would be gratful for any information.

muddlemummy

muddlemummy

Hi, there are benefits you could try and apply for depending on how your condition affects you on a day to day basis. I get Incapacity Benefit (now known as ESA) and DLA.

Do you have a care co ordinator such as a cpn or social worker? My CPN helped me with my claim form for DLA. They should also be able to put you in touch with your local advocacy service which can help you regarding benefit entitlement.

Have a google for ESA and DLA and see what you think.

HTH

S

sally

information

Thank you for your reponse nands, I have just been given a c.p.n. and he will be seeing me next week and doing an mental health assessment and risk assessment with me. So i will mention it to him and see what happens.

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Sally.Welcome to the forum.
Your CPN can help you with the application forms.

S

sally

information

Hello Olanza, Thank you for your helpful information. and welcoming me to the forum. It all feels very overwhelming at the moment and I am concerned my daughter is not affected by my condition. x

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's not surprising that you feel so overwhelmed.You've had a lot to deal with your recent diagnosis and now having to take medication..
The fact that you can't work should entitle you to benefits in a fair system.Any help from your CPN can only help your claim for ESA and DLA.You may be rejected but you should appeal.
The fact that you mention concern for your daughter tells me that you are a good parent.Try not to worry too much and take each day at a time and keep posting.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M People 27