• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Just could use some support

N

Ninja3088

Hey everyone,
I thought I’d make post because I’m depressed and a bit upset about something that happens now I’m then because of my bipolar. I’m getting my doctorate in music but had to take a break because of my illness I’m doing a lot better because I have been able to reduce stress, plus the fact that my
meds have changed. I’ve also been working part time. Well the thing that has been causing me some depression is that sometimes at work there have been people who treat me as if I’m really dumb. And I think it’s because sometimes I’ve asked kind of dumb questions about how to do certain tasks, mostly, I think, because I am really insecure and anxious and so don’t have the confidence and clarity and boldness to figure things out on my own. But sometimes I think maybe there really is something that’s not right with me. That I’m really smart when it comes to music but just not very bright with more basic life skills.

Not sure if I explained that well or if anyone can relate. I’d love to hear back. Thanks again everyone for being such great human beings. This site is wonderful.

Ninja

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
I’m not bipolar but I go after that it’s better to ask a few times more than trying to do alone. You learn when you ask for help and everyone have strength and weakness.

Myself can ask my friends at uni how you spell words quite often and I can misread questions because of my dyslexia. It makes me feel stupid but often they can help me create a better understanding. So I can later handle it alone. Sometimes even google don’t understand what words I try to spell. I have quite a hard time when it comes expressing myself with words and writing.

So don’t think you are stupid, it’s normal to ask for help. I’m not smart with music and I played viola/violin for 10 years. I can hear when something sound false, tune the violin/viola and can read the notes for both instrument and also for cello but playing I’m totally bad at it, no talent within it. So I think it’s awesome that you are good with music, I wish I also was that.

So we have all our strengths in different area and aspects in life 😊

Zero One

Zero One

I'm as bipolar as bipolar can get. I relate to what you are saying but just have confidence in the things you have learned and you are doing the right thing by asking questions.

N

Ninja3088

I’m not bipolar but I go after that it’s better to ask a few times more than trying to do alone. You learn when you ask for help and everyone have strength and weakness.

Myself can ask my friends at uni how you spell words quite often and I can misread questions because of my dyslexia. It makes me feel stupid but often they can help me create a better understanding. So I can later handle it alone. Sometimes even google don’t understand what words I try to spell. I have quite a hard time when it comes expressing myself with words and writing.

So don’t think you are stupid, it’s normal to ask for help. I’m not smart with music and I played viola/violin for 10 years. I can hear when something sound false, tune the violin/viola and can read the notes for both instrument and also for cello but playing I’m totally bad at it, no talent within it. So I think it’s awesome that you are good with music, I wish I also was that.

So we have all our strengths in different area and aspects in life 😊
Thank you so much! I found what you said helpful. I agree that it’s good to be meek and willing to just get help and learn.

N

Ninja3088

I'm as bipolar as bipolar can get. I relate to what you are saying but just have confidence in the things you have learned and you are doing the right thing by asking questions.
Thank you! I will act more confidently. I think my lack of confidence is the main thing that always me down and causes me to second guess myself.
Thanks!
Ninja

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

Hey Ninja,

This is my first post on this board, but I wanted to thank you for sharing your story. I know it's not an easy thing to talk about and I appreciate your honesty and openness.

I'm almost the exact opposite of you in that for most of my life I though I was stupid because I was horrible at school (academics). However, I'm really good at figuring things out on my own and I'm generally good at work. I started to think that because I was failing academically that it meant I was a failure in life--I was wrong. I was just trying to do something I really wasn't meant to do.

To me, it sounds like you're trying to fit into a job right now that just might not be for you, and you should feel bad about it. I think if you find a job that combines your passion and aptitude you will be much happier!

Best Wishes!

N

Ninja3088

Hey Ninja,

This is my first post on this board, but I wanted to thank you for sharing your story. I know it's not an easy thing to talk about and I appreciate your honesty and openness.

I'm almost the exact opposite of you in that for most of my life I though I was stupid because I was horrible at school (academics). However, I'm really good at figuring things out on my own and I'm generally good at work. I started to think that because I was failing academically that it meant I was a failure in life--I was wrong. I was just trying to do something I really wasn't meant to do.

To me, it sounds like you're trying to fit into a job right now that just might not be for you, and you should feel bad about it. I think if you find a job that combines your passion and aptitude you will be much happier!

Best Wishes!
Hi! Yes I completely agree. You’re very perceptive. I’m working on getting a job in my field (music) right now and have some good things happening so I have my fingers crossed. I will remind myself that I’m not a failure just because some things aren’t obvious to me at first. I definitely need to remind myself that I do have very real strengths.

thanks so much!

HLon99

HLon99

Dear ninja,

I know a lot of people like that, who are good at what they do but have poor practical skills. It isn't that unusual. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but practice makes perfect. Besides, this job is merely a stepping stone for you towards what you actually want to do so there's no need to overthink it that much.

About the depression, I really empathise with you on that. I was an undergrad, first year and I am now on my second year off due to my illness. Its probably one of the worst things about being bipolar, having to put your entire life on hold for this crap illness. But, if your really passionate about what you do, I'm sure it won't be hard for you to get back into it once your better.

all the best,
-H