• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Just complained to the BBC

BillFish

BillFish

Hi, I just complained to the BBC about one of their shows and the use of derogatory terms to describe people with mental health issues.

It struck me that its the last open discrimination accepted by the media and TV.It seems to be open season when it comes to derogatory terms for us, even on the BBC.They are scared stiff to use words like "nigger" etc but when it comes to using slang for people with mental health issues , hey go for it!

Who knows? I may be the next "Mary white house" for schizophrenics lol

Perhaps I should compulsively bang off a few hundred emails to the media a week?

It will be interesting to read the reply, I'll post it here in a few days.(y)

I

IntrospectionFtw!

what was the show? sometimes i notice this aswell they mainly jus use generalisations like "nutter" "psycho" doesnt really bother me so much i mean i use those words too describe myself and other people sometimes aswell...depends on the person saying it and the context if its a joke or not etc.

M

mad as a hatter

i,ve also said looney and nutter or there nuts doesn,t bother me 2 much really it,s only there oponion at the end off the day so why worry it,s people,s ignorance more than ne thing as u said there,s certain things they wouldn,t get off with being racist is 1 off them but they can call us nutters 2 society that seems ok

BillFish

BillFish

No reply it seems......My rant and admission I'm schizophrenic probably promted a click on the recycle bin :p

G

Greysunday

Keep at them, you're doing a fine job. Totally agree . Seems a case of double standards where words used in the seventies to describe other cultures were acceptable are no longer so; and yet nutter, loony, schizo etc are publicly used to still describe the village idiot or every person seeing a shrink will knife you in the back.