• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

just been diagnosed

S

starfish

i had my second session with my psychologist today and she said that i have PTSD. this is an addition to all my other diagnoses. phew. i feel a sense of releif, but where do i go from here? i havent told any one about this cos they will want some detailes which i want to keep to myself. just wanted to get that off my chest.

mischief

mischief

Admin
where do you want to go from here?

Are you seeing the psychologist again?

W

Willcat

dolores said:
i feel a sense of releif, but where do i go from here?
I too was relieved :) when I was first diagnosed. Finally I had a understanding where all those symptoms I was experiencing came from.

I was and still am fortunate to get some professional treatment for my PTSD. I wish you the best on your healing journey.

S

starfish

PTSD

thankyou mischief and willcat. yes i will be having psychological treatment,and yes i feel relieved to know where my symtoms originate from. i shall take each new day one at a time. thanx again.:)

F

familycrisis

PTSD and EMDR

When I first read about EMDR, I laughed to my self and rolled my eyes. I thought it was a bunch of BS. However, I went to the training and I was impressed with the results. When I made referrals for PTSD, I try to educate people on EMDR treatment. It is short term, and it helps smooth the path to move quicker into addressing other problem areas.

I found it work great for that anxiety over emotional response to external stimuli. As an example, I had a fear of snakes that was really over the top. I cannot even begin to express how great my fear had become. EMDR, help stop me from over reacting, so that I was able to maintain control without becoming hysterical when I saw a snake while hiking or on TV. (yes, I would freak out when I saw one on TV and then I would have nightmares.)

Point being, read about EMDR, you might find it will work for you. They have between 10 to 20 years of research using with Vet's from vietnam and they say it is the most successful treatment for PTSD.

F

familycrisis

EMDR is great

EMDR is a cognitive behavioral therapy that involves reprocessing your thoughts and thinking by following hand movements to reprocess your negative thoughts and replace with positive.

I had a great fear of snakes. My mom used to tell horror stories when I was a child to keep me away from water. I used to freak out if I saw a snake in nature or on television. I would have a panic attack and I would cry, scream, cuss, and disconnect.

I no longer freak out. I feel more in control.

What is great, it is short term therapy. Depending on your situation, you are talking about maybe 6 to 8 sessions.

Check it out on the internet.

S

starfish

emdr

thanks family crisis, i have an appointment with my psychologist tomorrow i will mention emdr. i am pretty sure that i will start cbt soon.:)