• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Just a question

A

Alittlelost

Is hearing voices a symptom of Bipolar?

I hope this doesn't offend anybody i am just trying to shed some light on my syptoms. Thank you :innocent:

D

dreambuggieII

I've been diaognosed with Bi-polar, by my pdoc. I have thought echoes, which are similar to voices. To my knowledge, the bi-polar, can have "psychosis" smattered in. I'm alergic to using medical terminology - so excuse the crudity.

what a sweet name - "Alittlelost" - sounds a little Navajo. - very sweet indeed.*smiles* - me _ :)

S

shell

I've been diaognosed with Bi-polar, by my pdoc. I have thought echoes, which are similar to voices. To my knowledge, the bi-polar, can have "psychosis" smattered in. I'm alergic to using medical terminology - so excuse the crudity.

what a sweet name - "Alittlelost" - sounds a little Navajo. - very sweet indeed.*smiles* - me _ :)
I have never heard noises x

D

DELATEXT

Sometimes it is like a chorus in my head,
whispering things I dread ?
Telling me I am no good,
so much fear, so misunderstood ??
An echo coming out of the past,
taunting me, how long will it last ??
The chorus waits every day,
always negative, always they bray,
I am frozen in disarray ??:unsure::scared::unsure:

A

Alittlelost

Thank you for your replies they have been helpful.

Maybe i should rule out the dx of Bipolar. I am trying to work out whats causing my voices. Maybe i should stop trying to self dx and wait untill my pdoc works it out.

Once again thank you all.

M

Mercer

Yes, with bipolar typeI it is possible to hear voices and display other symptoms of other illnesses such as schizophrenia and scizoaffective disorder. Can i ask how old you are? And what diagnosis you currently have?

Take it easy pal.

A

Alittlelost

Hello Merser, i'm 22 years old!

I have anorexia but am well on the way to recovery and am a healthy weight now. My pdoc is trying to diagnose me as i have been hearing voices and have had some strange experiences along with being afraid to leave my flat, lack of motivation and feeling extreemly unsociable.

M

Mercer

my advice is to keep in touch with services pal. you're quite young. i've had numerous diagnoses over the years. i guess the most accurate one is bipolar. but when i was psychotic (not for a few years now) it was scizoaffective. sometimes it's difficult not knowing, you want a label to your illness but sometimes it is not clear cut.

i hope things work out for you mate. try not to get scared if you hear a scary-sounding illness name describing you. come post here and people will give you re-assurance and advice.

my advice - keep in touch with services and take your medication, cos in my experience things get a hell of a lot worse if you don't.

all the best pal.

Peace.

dib4uk

dib4uk

I hear voices and smells and its possible to have it with biploa, and some of the modern day drugs work for schzophrenia and bipola too.

I have cyclothymia which comes under biploa spectrum.

A

Alittlelost

Thank you both Mercer and dib4uk for your advice.

I'm seeing a T about my ED and she is in the know about it and at the moment i am having regular appts with my pdoc to try and get to the bottom of it. You are right about wanting a diagnosis Mercer, i just want to know what is going on but then again in a way i don't. Did4uk, i have been put on antipyschotis by my pdoc and that is why i wrote this thread. They are to treat schzophrenia and bipola and i didn't realise bipola can include voices and such.

Once again thank you for your support.

S

suki1066

hi there, i have heared a voice wishpering in my ear at night time when im in bed, also a mans voice in my head, talking to me the same as a thourght, it was at a stressfull time and a symtom of the way i was feeling. i havent had any diagnosis other than depression and anxiaty, which has spaned over 25 years now. it is very hard when your young as you dont have the life experiences that us older girls and boys do, you do learn coping mecagnisms, i use breathing and thourght interuption, yoga and ive find buddism very interesting over the last few years, i enjoy a massage and treat myself to a facial once a month.
the thing is hunni whatever lable you get you will allways be you, you will grow and develope and learn lots of things along the way, accepting and loveing yourself the way you are, with all your little quirks and ways, will help you alot... enjoy what you can in the life you have, we all im sure have not expected our lives to turn out as it has, and waste time not enjoying what we have now and look at what we think we should have.
i take it you are aware the voices arent real, ??? there is a diffrence to thinking they are real and would therefore be treated in a diffrent way...
with all the odd things i feel, fear voices, flashing lights, scary faces at night when i close my eyes that mutate, the irratabillity and anger, the teares frustration, my controlling behavoir, the agitation, lack of sleep, tiredness, intrusive thourghts to name a few.... what ever label i would be given at the end of the day i would always be Jane, so thats who i am just me........ still learning to live and cope, sometimes im good, sometimes im bad and struggle....but i carry on and dont give up
And this too will pass... is my motto in life i hope oneday you will be able to change your name when you find and like yourself..wishing you the very best xxxx

A

Alittlelost

Thank you so much Suki, this is such a lovely message and means so much. You observably made a real effort to reply to me and i am truely greatful. :hug:

If there is one thing i am learning from posting on this forum, is that whatever label i am given i am still me! Maybe i should start consentrating on this fact. :redface:

W

warriorprincess

Bipolar can definitely include voices!

I'd say they've been most disturbing when I've been manic, but I also get them when I'm depressed too, but maybe not such a strong sense of other voices, just my own head not shutting up, but either way I have no control over them. But I'm also aware as others have posted it can be like the crossover part that comes with type I BD, into other illnesses. I'd certainly say I've experienced some psychotic 'episodes' along the way, but I think usually as a result of being manic. Still working it all out myself really, just trying to answer your main post as best I can and shed some light on what it's like for me.

I explained to my psychiatrist the other day about the repetition of random phrases or things I hear other people say, it all goes on in my head quite a lot, but she said that is to do with the anxiety aspect for me, she didn't seem any more concerned once I'd told her - she said it was good for me it isn't all the time. Just wondered if that could be a cause for you, bipolar or not, if you're extremely anxious it has to show up somehow. Especially as from what I understand anorexia nervosa has huge ties to being stressed and anxious. Obviously there's more to it than that, but it may be that part coming out in voices, where you are no longer relying on old habits? I don't mean to undermine anything about what you have been through too, as I said that is just what I understand or seem to remember reading in the past. I had a diagnosis of anorexia when I was 12 but I think that was just one of many wrong diagnoses throughout my life!

Anyway, it's really amazing to hear you're on the road to recovery after battling all that, that must have taken a lot of strength, I definitely agree you need to take proper time getting the right help you need. I've been pushing for a diagnosis these last few months, even tho i had a bipolar dx 4 years ago, they don't seem to want to just go with that at the moment, but we are finally discussing meds, and I guess that's a good thing. I think so long as you are being treated, the right diagnosis will come. I regret pushing for one now, as a doctor hastily diagnosed Borderline a few weeks back, and so for now that's what it says on my records, even tho all the other psychiatrists are claiming bipolar!! And he doesn't even work there anymore!! So right now I'm willing to wait, and have ongoing weekly appointments, at least i know they'll see the bigger picture eventually, and for now they are helping more than ever before so that's something.

Good luck sweet and post on here anytime you need support, xxx

S

suki1066

your: wellcome love
though reading it back i must apolgise for the awfull spelling xxxx
hope your feeling ok today

J

jema88

Alittlelost.. I hear voices too.. I talk to them && they talk to me!!.. I see and talk to dead people when im depressed.. && at the time when im doing it i thin k its all real!!.. && i suppose i get some sort of comfort from it .. But when im 'normal' i know the voices && people are just in my head.. Stay strong your not alone!! :) xxxx