• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Just a question.What is the difference between being nervous or anxious?

Carol1952

Carol1952

Some people have often have asked me that .I dont know how to explain that to them because there is a difference.I know when I am anxious sometimes i do get nervous and other times I am nervous but not anxious.

S

singingspringtime

For me, i think nervous is a mild form of anxiety. So i'd describe it as the same, but much less severe in intensity. Same as a sprain is a form of damage to a limb, but not as bad as a fracture. Both hurt, just one is more manageable.
Don't know if you define nervous and anxiety in the same way as me, but hopefully this helps a little.

Carol1952

Carol1952

For me, i think nervous is a mild form of anxiety. So i'd describe it as the same, but much less severe in intensity. Same as a sprain is a form of damage to a limb, but not as bad as a fracture. Both hurt, just one is more manageable.
Don't know if you define nervous and anxiety in the same way as me, but hopefully this helps a little.
First of all welcome to the family.To be honest I dont know what to think.The thing is i dont feel any kind of anxieties when I am nervous.Confusing isnt it.Thank you and nice to meat you.

Faith198

Faith198

I feel like once it starts getting severe and affecting every single part of your life, can’t even leave the house, that’s when you know something more is wrong

S

singingspringtime

First of all welcome to the family.To be honest I dont know what to think.The thing is i dont feel any kind of anxieties when I am nervous.Confusing isnt it.Thank you and nice to meat you.
Thankyou for the welcome, it's nice to meet you :)

What does being nervous feel like to you? I see it as a mild anxiety thing, how do you see it?

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

If I were to separate them, I would classify nervousness as something that had some kind of excitement involved. Like nervous about going on a amusement park ride. Anxiety being pure fear, I am not looking forward to anything I'm scared and my brain saying there is danger here. But I have also used nervous to describe a shy person who is uncomfortable being in certain situations, social or otherwise.

Carol1952

Carol1952

If I were to separate them, I would classify nervousness as something that had some kind of excitement involved. Like nervous about going on a amusement park ride. Anxiety being pure fear, I am not looking forward to anything I'm scared and my brain saying there is danger here. But I have also used nervous to describe a shy person who is uncomfortable being in certain situations, social or otherwise.
That sounds just about right thank you

nutsie

nutsie

Nervous ok and normal anxiety just crap

A

Anxiously Me

I read a quote years ago that I felt described the difference perfectly: “Fear stimulates the senses, anxiety paralyzes them”

Nervousness is certainly a part of anxiety, but only a part. Hope this helps and good luck.

Carol1952

Carol1952

I read a quote years ago that I felt described the difference perfectly: “Fear stimulates the senses, anxiety paralyzes them”

Nervousness is certainly a part of anxiety, but only a part. Hope this helps and good luck.
The mailman who I use to know use to tell me our brains are damaged that is so true.

wasteman420

wasteman420

Technicallllly they're the same thing, "nervous" is just a more outdated term that's usually thrown around a little more lightly. Anxious can be a synonym for nervous, e.g. if you were nervous about performing a solo, it would be appropriate to use either word to describe it, as they have the same general symptoms as they are caused by the fight or flight response.

I feel like anxiety has much more negative connotations, as it's a more scientific or rather medical term for it. Like people get diagnosed with anxiety disorders because they feel nervous way more intensely and/or more often than should be normal, we just call them Anxiety Disorders rather than 'Nervous Disorders' as it's more formal.

But generally nervousness as a less intense, more short term feeling, and anxiousness a more intense, longer term experience.