• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Just a query...

M

madsheep

I know everyone is different and react differently to medication and such like. But I was wondering, for those people who have Borderline Personality Disorder...
What meds are you taking?
What have you tried?
What types of therapy have you tried?

My psych said he is going to start me on a 'mood stabilizer'. Have no idea what that is. He said that he doesnt think the lowest dose will actually do anything, but because of my bad reactions to other meds he wants to start low and build up to it.:unsure::eek::(:confused:

I am starting to get on the desperate side of things now in regards to at least SOMETHING that can at least stop the mood swing being so dramatic all the time.

I was also wondering how many people were diagnosed with depression, before being told that they actually had a MH condition?

thanks peeps :D

A

Ainsworth

im on a MS, valproate. i was suspected BP and then told it was just depression, they know i have some type of PD but not in a rush to help me with it

im taking it with zoloft now and this is the first day i havent felt like a zombie and feel little manic. it feels great :clap:

M

mad as a hatter

i,m also on mood stabilizers but i got both borderline and bipolor they help if u have high,s and lows well that,s the theory ne way mean,t level r mood out make it on a more even keel

dib4uk

dib4uk

hello there,

Well i'm on mood staberlisers because i also have cyclothymia- which is on the bipola spectrum.

I always thought i had depression due to low self esteme and other associative conditions of worthlessness and stuff like that.

As far as therapy has gone, still waiting for psychotherapy, but have done a lot of counselling in the past, some has really helped me, others not so.

:D

R

Respecting myself

I've been diagnosed bi-polar II although I suspect I'm more BPD - but took about 12 years to push for the bi-polar diagnosis that I'm not expecting them to make the BPD link any time soon.

I tried Tegretol - mood stabiliser, but it made me a zombie and I pretty much lost any sense of urgency and felt sick the whole time. I've tried loads of anti-depressants in the past citalopram made me so nauseous and awful I couldn't continue, prozac made me really crazy. I'm on Sertraline but I don't think it's doing much to be honest.

I'm on a wait list for an Emotional therapy group (been on it since June), I need a self help group so am going to write to my CPN to try and get in somewhere before I fall off the edge.

I am managing a full time job, looking after myself and maintaining a relationship (albeit a stormy one) and a few friendships - but it is a daily struggle!

Gail

Gail

I'm on a wait list for an Emotional therapy group (been on it since June), I need a self help group so am going to write to my CPN to try and get in somewhere before I fall off the edge.

Hi HazeyJ I attend an emotional regulation therapy group and it helps a great deal in fact im due to go tomorrow, its twice a week and its based on the work of Mahsa Linehams book about how to manage blpd.
Good luck and push your cpn about getting on the course.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi HazeyJ I attend an emotional regulation therapy group and it helps a great deal in fact im due to go tomorrow, its twice a week and its based on the work of Mahsa Linehams book about how to manage blpd.
Good luck and push your cpn about getting on the course.
I have been on the DBT course designed by Marsha Linehan. I personally found it life changing, although at times I wanted to give up, and actually refuted the idea! Now I am so thankful I had it.

Stick it out even if it gets tough because in my opinion it is well worth it.

dib4uk

dib4uk

I agree stick at the therapy it might help you in your life!!

The thing with medicine and Personality disorders is that for so many indviduals they have anxiety based disorders, mood disorders etc alongside their pd.

The thing that concerns me is that theres different sorts of therapy being offered to people with a personality disorder, and I was wondering shouldnt there be one standard form of treatment as opposed to a variety of treatments avaliable to the CMHT. Or is it about money and lack of resources thats the real reason why different treatment is offered to individuals throughout the country?

Anyone know any different/better, please enlighten me.

Many thanks.

S

*Sapphire*

I agree stick at the therapy it might help you in your life!!

The thing with medicine and Personality disorders is that for so many indviduals they have anxiety based disorders, mood disorders etc alongside their pd.

The thing that concerns me is that theres different sorts of therapy being offered to people with a personality disorder, and I was wondering shouldnt there be one standard form of treatment as opposed to a variety of treatments avaliable to the CMHT. Or is it about money and lack of resources thats the real reason why different treatment is offered to individuals throughout the country?

Anyone know any different/better, please enlighten me.

Many thanks.

Having read alot of posts on this forum on this subject I have come to the opinion that what works for some might not work for others.

We all have different intellectual capabilities, emotional capabilities, strengths, weaknesses, learning abilities, preferences and life stresses. Therefore I do not feel that there is one overall therapy that works for everyone, but I am open to being disproved.

I think what is most important of all is that any therapy although trying to change our behaviours and actions, also validates the ones that we are using already. Even if they are damaging. I also think the person suffering has to realise they are damaging. Otherwise what would be the motivation to change?

I may be wrong but it is my opinon.

M

madsheep

I feel that at this point maybe I should put something. When I started this thread it was not to decide whether there was a particular medication or treatment that would soar above all others and magically cure me. But to gain insite into other peoples experiences, just so that I had something to suggest to my Psych. I had one session with him where he went through everything that WOULDNT work for me. It made me feel completely helpless and I guess I just wanted to see if there was more out there than when he was offering!

I am now in the middle of moving house. Although my stress levels are sky high and I am barely coping... I am going to be moving to a different county so hopefully my new 'team' will be able to come up with something more useful than 'We offer brain surgery, but that wont be useful to you!':eek: