Judging Therapy?

G

gam9147

I find myself judging my therapy lately, maybe a symptom of my anxiety since I judge myself. Its partly about me, but I also wonder what a 'good therapy session' is supposed to look like, since I have no basis.

I've had therapy before but it was either relatively short for immediate problems or cognitive behavioral for specific techniques, but either way I always stopped it after I felt a bit better and able to cope.

This time I'm looking to stay longer to work things out and have a better chance of feeling more whole long term. What 'should' be happening in therapy? I feel like I talk too much and am not getting a lot back from my therapist, but also that maybe simply because I'm talk talk talking.. When I stop she prods me to start again next thing I know therapy session over, but I'm not sure where we got?

Does that make any sense? many of you have more experiences with longer term therapy I'm curious how you feel about it, or more to know whether I'm going through the right process or if I do need a different therapist?

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

hey that is just how i think about therapy i think gee i dont seem to be tackling 'issues' cant do these so called cbt stuff. it just adds to the stack.

i think with there being so many types of therapy then the answer is going to be varied. however i am doing person centred therapy. which is very helpful. no awkward silences
Why Carl Rogers' Person-Centered Approach Is Still Relevant

pepecat

pepecat

I'm not sure there's ever an 'ought' or 'should' be happening in therapy. It depends on all sorts of things - the type of therapy, how long you're having therapy for, the relationship with the therapist, what you talk about, how open you're able to / choose to be, how far into the therapy you are.....

The question might actually be 'What do you want out of therapy?'

G

gam9147

Thanks guys. Yes I know Rogers methods really should be a part of all therapists techniques, pretty sure its a mandatory class for therapists everywhere... but that's really about approach and not so much the nuts and bolts of what happens, at least that was my understanding.

What I want out of therapy -- techniques to feel better even when I'm facing difficult challenges, a sense of feeling like I can handle things, and to work through whatever issues I'm having that I don't really even understand or know about to minimize the chance of flare ups in the future.

I guess that last part is what makes it hard, since I'm not even sure what that is or should look like. So far I'm not sure if I've gotten concrete techniques either... but perhaps it hasn't been that long.

blacksmoke

blacksmoke

Therapy is only 50 mins each week and the rest of the week we have to start to implement what is learnt in therapy and that can take a long time to start to happen. it kinda takes a wee while to clear the fog.

I find keeping a journal is helpful it helps to keep track of progress and yeah set backs too (but not to focus on the negative) and most importantly how I deal with it. And how I can do it differently.

Techniques to feel better even when I'm facing difficult challenges, a sense of feeling like I can handle things,
I don’t think we actually feel better for quite a while as it’s a working progress of managing stress and re grouping and starting to map what our triggers are which will help to reduce the stress.

pepecat

pepecat

What I want out of therapy -- techniques to feel better even when I'm facing difficult challenges, a sense of feeling like I can handle things, and to work through whatever issues I'm having that I don't really even understand or know about to minimize the chance of flare ups in the future.
So..... do you want techniques to deal with issues, or do you want to deal with the actual issues?
If you had a dodgy knee for example - do you want to learn how to live with a dodgy knee, or would you want to sort out the knee itself?

J

Jules5

Hi Is your therapist making suggestions? It sounds to me she is getting to know you very well as you talk to her-give it some time as she is formulating a plan of approach. If not then definitely find a new Therapist more to your liking-be specific about what kind of therapist you want. CB, Freudian, Rogers... and seek these types of help.

G

gam9147

She decided early on to work on dialectic therapy with me to treat generalized anxiety disorder. To that end she was photocopying some items from a workbook for me to work on, so yes there are suggestions, I guess I'm still not sure about dialectic therapy for me, but I'm thinking its worth a shot. But few concrete techniques, I'm used to cognitive behavioral where there are things to practice/do. Dialectic is more focus on mindful awareness at the start so there is not as much to do... just things to think about...

I dunno just feeling lost in general lately, so perhaps I'm applying that too much to my therapy