• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

jolt like gasp of air when falling asleep

E

eddy1608

sometimes when i dose of on the sofa i get these like zaps where i wake and cant breath its almost like a full body twitch with a missed breath. has anyone else experienced this?

V

Verity

sometimes when i dose of on the sofa i get these like zaps where i wake and cant breath its almost like a full body twitch with a missed breath. has anyone else experienced this?
Hi Eddy,

Yes I have experienced this, especially when I have not processed stress prior to going to bed. I sometimes gasp for air and feel some chest / breathing discomfort afterwards.

This can be related to some medications. I'm currently experiencing excessive dreaming / nightmares as a consequence of PTSD and reducing my anti depressant medication.

What you are experiencing is a body spasm called a Hypnic / Hypnagogig Jerk. I have posted a link to more information. I hope that this puts your mind at rest.

Sleeping Disorders: Sleeping Disorders - A startle or jolt before sleep - The Hypnic Jerk

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I also experience this.
It might be worth seeing your doctor, especially if you're particularly at risk of sleep apnoea.
I would say though, that it's more than likely mental health related. Being particularly anxious or stressed out can make this "gasp" thing happen.

If it's really bothering you, try to do what you can to make your sleeping environment better... make sure the space is calm and free of clutter and electricals.
I know it's winter, but also i've found having a fan next to my bed helps me breathe better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Anxiety Forum 5
J Anxiety Forum 11