• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Joker film - would you recommend it (mental health related)

Lance__

Lance__

Hi, I just wanted to know what was the experience of other people watching the Joker film (2019). My therapist told me not to watch it, and I have the feeling it can be triggering for me. For example I used to dissociate when watching Dexter tv show, and felt a bit unstable after some episodes, althought at the same time I was hooked by the show and finished all of it.

So, what was your experience with the Joker film? Would you recommend it?
Thanks in advance :)

N

Nukelavee

Hmmm. It's not really a movie I "enjoyed" watching, because it is very grim and tense. But I'm glad I watched it.

There are a few intense scenes, but, in general, I think there is a lot of stuff I can relate to, or understand about it, due to my own experiences.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
To be honest as a film it would work without being anything Batman related. If it was entitled, Downward Spiral or similar it would have been just as effective. I definitely recommend caution though based on what you said above. It has this slow burn weight to it. It taps into that sense of the whole world being against you, like a grinding force that steadily breaks you down with its indifference and cruelty. If you are the sort of person that can't stand watching a person even in fiction embarrass themselves severely, get ridiculed or be treated cruelly then be wary. It has some pretty sharp social commentary that is quiet on the nose when it comes to mental health. As a person who has suffered psychosis and delusions at times a certain part left me very unsettled after seeing it. Sometimes you can relate with something to the point it is genuinely triggering. I thought it was amazing though personally, took me a day to stop being unsettled. As long as you don't turn into a disenfranchised clown and wish to see the world burn, I suspect you will enjoy it.

Lance__

Lance__

Thanks to both of you for your replies.
It has this slow burn weight to it. It taps into that sense of the whole world being against you, like a grinding force that steadily breaks you down with its indifference and cruelty.
This is exactly what my therapist said, like there is no hope in the whole film, that everything will end in desperation. I am the kind of person who changes the tv channel if someone is being embarrased or ridiculed, because I feel it like my own, and I can't stand it. I think for now I will not watch it. Maybe in the future when I feel totally stable, I will give it a chance. Thanks again.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide

I am the kind of person who changes the tv channel if someone is being embarrased or ridiculed, because I feel it like my own, and I can't stand it. I think for now I will not watch it. Maybe in the future when I feel totally stable, I will give it a chance. Thanks again.
Wise then to ask, as that scene is pretty much a pillar of the story line and spends some time there. It is critical for the ruinouse momentum of the film. Better to guard your mental well being. Look after yourself.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide

This is exactly what my therapist said, like there is no hope in the whole film, that everything will end in desperation. I am the kind of person who changes the tv channel if someone is being embarrased or ridiculed, because I feel it like my own, and I can't stand it. I think for now I will not watch it. Maybe in the future when I feel totally stable, I will give it a chance. Thanks again.
I think you’ve made the right decision to not see the film. The main character (Arthur) goes through humiliation, ridicule and emotional neglect from start to finish. I think, from what you’ve said, you’d find it deeply upsetting. X

Lance__

Lance__

The main character (Arthur) goes through humiliation, ridicule and emotional neglect from start to finish.
That seems like a hell for me, I would suffer too much watching it. This strengthen my decision to not watch the film. Thanks everybody for the replies.
Take care.

S

Susie28

I have BPD, currently managing it well despite reaching the point of divorce, but from an intellectual perspective I loved the film. I thought it demonstrated mental illness better than anything I'd ever seen. But it is violent and could be harrowing and disturbing to many who may identify with issues in the film.

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

Yes, well put together but not much on how to cure illness. Just more about triggers. It was a great experience.

<3

Lance__

Lance__

I have BPD, currently managing it well despite reaching the point of divorce, but from an intellectual perspective I loved the film. I thought it demonstrated mental illness better than anything I'd ever seen. But it is violent and could be harrowing and disturbing to many who may identify with issues in the film.
The daughter of my neighbour was diagnosed recently with BPD and her mother told me they went to see the film to better understand it. It seems it was useful for them, but I'm unaware if the main character has BPD or not.

Cherub786

Cherub786

Watch it purely for entertainment value. Ive seen it, it has no therapeutic value apart from entertainment that one feels when watching any good flick

MarieRose

MarieRose

The Joker shows exactly how mentally ill people get isolated and alienated,refused help and labeled,the film goes on to offer a view that them fighting back is justified due to the extreme cruelty and neglect that they suffer.It is dark and grim and offers no hope except for the downtrodden to rise up in violence and take revenge....it is dark and bleak and disturbing and if you are in mental health distress or disturbed when you watch it it could make your condition worse....although it is quite dark and disturbing it is a well put together well shot film with excellent acting,though quite violent and shocking.....if this film is portraying the reality of being mentally ill in western societies then there really is no hope.Fortunately although some areas of the film mirror my experience I also experienced a lot more help from the system in my personal journey than portrayed in this film.That is the only thing that struck me was how the whole film had left out the positive humane reactions I had had to being mentally ill,so if you watch it it helps to acknowledge we still have people who work with the mentally ill that are caring and compassionate and don't leave us to suffer cruelty and violence alone without help and that the film has exaggerated all the stereotypes.I do recommend watching it if you don't suffer too much watching violent scenes.

Ozymandias

Ozymandias

I thought it was a good movie, but certainly not in an 'enjoyable' way. I definitely agree with previous posters in that it can be hard viewing if you find it tough to watch people endure embarrassment and ridicule.

It makes an extremely overt statement about the deteriorating condition of mental health 'care' in post-financial crisis neoliberal countries, with one of the main triggers for Arthur Fleck's complete breakdown being the removal of both his social worker and medication due to public funding cuts. And, in an even less subtle manner - albeit with an elaborate build-up - the movie posits the possible consequences of demanding that people who need help just fuck off and look after themselves, which is basically what Republican (in the US) and Conservative (in the UK) governments and their voters want - and have been forcing - vulnerable people to do. That rich and privileged characters pay very heavy prices for Arthur's psychological collapse is possibly a warning to those groups as to the possible consequences of states continuing to abandon more and more people.

At a personal level, I could identify with a lot of Arthur's feelings and general situation, right down to his relationship with his mother. This caused me some discomfort at times, even before the character completely went to pieces, and once that began to happen I didn't like that I easily understood why someone might go on to act the way he does... I think the audience is supposed to sympathise with him, but not as much as I felt able to.

Something else I connected with was what I felt to be a general statement about the situation that a lot of 30-something and older men find ourselves in... how, frankly - and irrespective of what many women say they want in a male - being sensitive and introverted will result in loneliness and invisibility to females. The world really does very much still favour alpha masculinity.

N

Nukelavee

I found the portrayal of Arthur's "Joker" laugh, and the evolution of it manifesting, resonated with that feeling of yur illness having aspects you simply can't stop.