• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Joined for clarity

G

goldishsoul

Hello! I joined this forum because I currently have a brother who suffers from psychotic episodes, we think it might be related to a bigger mental illness but for now, we don't know. At this very moment, my family has hit rock bottom, he has days where he's his normal self and everything is fine but right now he isn't and it's killing everyone. I read about psychotic episodes on this forum and realized that many users suffer from them and go on to live normal lives which gave me hope for my brother. I just want to understand what's happening to him and hear about other stories while also receiving some type of emotional support from people who might understand my situation. Thank you for having and I hope to find the clarity I need.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
CAn i ask how many serious episodes hes had and for how long. Some people may only have one though it may come and go over several months. Others have several . My selfi i can only recall have if 3 serious episodes but did struggle a lot with conspiracy theories but i tried my best to control them at work so never got into political chats with anyone. But i still managed to hold down a full time responsible job apart from a few hospitalisations . With the right psychiatrist and the right medication it can be controlled. I have not had an episode since 2007. If he wants to join the forum hes more than welcome but he may not like that you are on it. I dont mean that in a bad way but if he wants to talk freely it may hold him back. But we can give you support as well. We do have a carers section that you may want to look at.

G

goldishsoul

CAn i ask how many serious episodes hes had and for how long. Some people may only have one though it may come and go over several months. Others have several . My selfi i can only recall have if 3 serious episodes but did struggle a lot with conspiracy theories but i tried my best to control them at work so never got into political chats with anyone. But i still managed to hold down a full time responsible job apart from a few hospitalisations . With the right psychiatrist and the right medication it can be controlled. I have not had an episode since 2007. If he wants to join the forum hes more than welcome but he may not like that you are on it. I dont mean that in a bad way but if he wants to talk freely it may hold him back. But we can give you support as well. We do have a carers section that you may want to look at.
He had a very serious one in January after abusing some marijuana and after being hospitalized for a week he came back and was back to his normal self. Since then he has had two more episodes, this is the third one. He's currently on medications (antipsychotics and antidepressants) but he doesn't have a psychiatrist, he was going to join a three-year psychotic episode program which had a high success rate but COVID-19 shut everything down and we've been trying to help him on our own. I joined this forum because whenever he has these episodes he's in a very catatonic state, his doctor has also forbidden him from reading about mental illnesses from fear that he would become paranoid.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I think what hes going thru is quite common. I dont know how the psychiatric systems works in canada and as you say Covid19 has shut most things down. If hes in a semi catatonic state i think you need to speak to a doctor . It could be that his meds are too strong for him, tho they can make you very tired. Is he doing anything else that isn’t his norm like becoming loud , spending, causing trouble. It’s not unusual for a person to be picked up by the police whilst in a psychotic phase.
Try and keep up the communication with him and listen to what he says without criticising too much. But accept that he may verbally turn on you and blame you for everything because what’s going on in his mind at the moment seems like the truth to him. Can i ask how old he is