• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Jobs For Bipolar

M

Mav2126

Anyone have any suggestions for low stress jobs for people with Bipolar?

B

butterflykisses

I work at a pizza restaurant. It’s low stress when I work during the day as opposed to night

G

Ginger Kitten

It's hard to say what's stressful and what's not because internal stress is subjective. Objectively, I thought my 2 days a week on the tills at a garden centre would be a breeze but it hasn't turned out like that at all. Working the tills is complex and I still haven't quite cracked it after nearly a year. I'm a lot faster and better, but some things still flummox me.

On top of this, I have been bullied by a colleague (that's a polite word for him!), which I believe you and I have talked about, Mav. That has been incredibly stressful, and all the more so because I said nothing, bit my tongue and tolerated it - until last week. He pushed me beyond my limit, so I spoke to our boss who then spoke to him. I could not have predicted this happening, but i would say this was even more stressful than the stresses of the job. And I agree with whoever it was who said that some low-stress (or low-status) jobs can be stressful, which is the case in this position.

The other thing is, if you take a lower paid and therefore less stressful job (assuming you can find one), you may then have the stress of reduced finances. However, on the topic of your CV, I think 'creative' presentation is the way to go. There are ways of hiding employment gaps (travel, time off to study, care for children, voluntary work, etc), which make gaps less obvious. And gaps due to travel are often seen positively, as a way of expanding your experience and perspective.

But you sound a bit strung out to me. I think now is the time to take some time to yourself to recover. For people like us, who are struggling more emotionally than many others, rest and recuperation are essential. After a few months of focusing on getting yourself back on your feet, your self-confidence will have recovered a bit, and then I think you may feel more able to take on the challenge of finding yourself work that is more compatible with your mh condition and with the person you are right now.

Kind regards, GK.

G

Ginger Kitten

...I tried to amend the above post but I'd taken too long over it, so it lost my amendments - grrr! Anyway, the other thing I said at the end is that when you feel ready, maybe consider some voluntary work in a sector you think might appeal to you. That way, you wouldn't have the responsibilities of a conventional job, but you would be able to get a flavour of the sort of work available in your chosen field. I also belong to a pet care agency - I can't recommend working with animals highly enough! Much easier than people! Take care Mav; we will no doubt chat soon. Try not to dwell on this over the weekend. You have made a brave decision but now you should give yourself a break - if you can - and try to get some R&R. You can return to thinking about this at a later date.
Thinking of you, GK.

N

NowWhat

I'm considering doing my HGV licence but am not sure how my BP will affect insurance and getting work through agencies.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Can you even do HGV with Bipolar? (Genuine question as I thought that could potentially be a bit on the dangerous side.)

G

Ginger Kitten

I'm considering doing my HGV licence but am not sure how my BP will affect insurance and getting work through agencies.
I hate to be a downer but I think having bp might exclude you from that. I know I can't drive a small van due to being bipolar. It's not just the illness but any meds yr on: many of them are soporific (make u drowsy) so the dvla is understandably strict about that too. Sorry. But I'd check it out with them yrself: you can ring them.

D

Dave71

I’ve had over 50 jobs. Sometimes I don’t know why I keep trying. It feels great when I work but the truth is I’m not capable.

N

NowWhat

None of my messages are drowsy, I'm on sodium valporate only. I don't see any reason why it should be an issue.

G

Ginger Kitten

None of my messages are drowsy, I'm on sodium valporate only. I don't see any reason why it should be an issue.
Okay, meds may not be in your case, but having bipolar will be. I think you will be unlikely to get an HGV licence as bp is a 'notifiable illness'. Even if you're stable on meds, they may consider that you may not always be, given that bp is a variable illness. There's also the possibility that your current medication may not always works so well as it does at the moment. As I say, I don't know for certain so it's best to check with them. I'm not trying to discourage you but I'm not trying to give you false hope either.

G

Ginger Kitten

I’ve had over 50 jobs. Sometimes I don’t know why I keep trying. It feels great when I work but the truth is I’m not capable.
Yes, I feel the same. I can't seem to find a job that fits me properly. Nothing I've done in recent years - except perhaps massage therapy (which I can't do now due to a wrist injury) - has felt 'me'. I've just tried different things, knowing they wouldn't work out because I wasn't comfortable. Since I left editing (which I took to like a fish to water, and was very good at), I have felt like several square pegs in a multitude of round holes. Sick of it and now worn out and tired of it all. It's not our fault we can't work, but relying solely on benefits is an execrable way to live as well. None of this is easy.

Zana

Zana

By the logic of living a balanced life helps reduce the likelihood of episodes, having a balance of physical and mental tasks could be beneficial for an individual with BP.

Moreover I believe our resilience to work related stress increases when we are in a line of work we find meaningful. If we are willing and able to get up and go to work, then we all deserve to be able to reflect on a day/week/month/year of hard but stressful work and feel like it was worth it.

Another consideration is what tends to cause you the most stress. For examples I've found having structure and limits (e.g. processes in place, job spec clearly defined) is important as ambiguity drives me mad, especially if hypomanic. Same goes when communicating with colleagues and managers.

Maybe the most important thing we want to look for is an understanding and flexible line manager whom we can trust. Sadly this is in my experience the most difficult to find and like Dave71 I've had a lot of jobs, probably over 30. The more experienced a manager the better, it seems.

So altogether IMO we want to aim for a fairly structured job with a mix of physicality and mental tasks, with established processes and rules but with some flexibility to working days/tasks, which you should get with larger companies with a HR dept.

My best experience with all of this was contracting logistics with the military and logistics/supply chain/warehousing in general. Engineering and trades are also a good shout if they let you be hands-on and creative. Construction, architecture, agriculture, a lot of jobs in STEM (science, engineering, technology and manufacturing). These jobs or job markets are also likely to stay secure as we as humans keep driving forward to a better future.

G

Ginger Kitten

By the logic of living a balanced life helps reduce the likelihood of episodes, having a balance of physical and mental tasks could be beneficial for an individual with BP.

Moreover I believe our resilience to work related stress increases when we are in a line of work we find meaningful. If we are willing and able to get up and go to work, then we all deserve to be able to reflect on a day/week/month/year of hard but stressful work and feel like it was worth it.

Another consideration is what tends to cause you the most stress. For examples I've found having structure and limits (e.g. processes in place, job spec clearly defined) is important as ambiguity drives me mad, especially if hypomanic. Same goes when communicating with colleagues and managers.

Maybe the most important thing we want to look for is an understanding and flexible line manager whom we can trust. Sadly this is in my experience the most difficult to find and like Dave71 I've had a lot of jobs, probably over 30. The more experienced a manager the better, it seems.

So altogether IMO we want to aim for a fairly structured job with a mix of physicality and mental tasks, with established processes and rules but with some flexibility to working days/tasks, which you should get with larger companies with a HR dept.

My best experience with all of this was contracting logistics with the military and logistics/supply chain/warehousing in general. Engineering and trades are also a good shout if they let you be hands-on and creative. Construction, architecture, agriculture, a lot of jobs in STEM (science, engineering, technology and manufacturing). These jobs or job markets are also likely to stay secure as we as humans keep driving forward to a better future.
I don't know; those are quite specific areas that you have to have certain skills for. I'm more of a creative than any of those professions imply and I am now 61 so am hardly likely to be any employer's dream. And as for this idea of routine being good for people with bp, I know that is the received wisdom, but it absolutely doesn't work for me, it is counter-intuitive to my nature. Similarly, I hate rules and struggle with authority, especially nowadays when I resent being 'managed' by people half my age, with half my life experience. I know that's how it is, but doesn't mean I have to like it.

All I want is an easy job that doesn't require too much of me. I only want part-time and I don't want any pressure. So as in most things, everyone is different. As I've said before, I'm not sure anyone is going to come up with 'ideal bipolar jobs' as one size never fits all.

The struggle is real

The struggle is real

Can you even do HGV with Bipolar? (Genuine question as I thought that could potentially be a bit on the dangerous side.)

As a HGV driver myself I can confirm that it is not the best job for mental health unless you can refresh your methods of coping with sleep deprivation and loneliness. One of the hardest parts is preventing your mind spiraling into negative thought patterns because once this happens and they manifest they can become extremely hard to break out of.
Imagine one of you're dark thoughts, then imagine being stuck in an uncomfortable glass box which you can't escape from and having those thoughts go around and around in you mind, add in frustrations like back ache, leg ache, head aches, over consumption of sugar and caffeine, sleep deprivation, road rage, getting stitched up by colleagues, shit epuipment and the list goes on and on.
Imagine all those stressors and many more, add in your dark thoughts during your depressive phase of bipolar with no way to break the circling negativity. I can tell you from experience what will happen is you will begin to embrace those impulses and enjoy them, act them out in your mind over and over and over and over again until you become numb to all feelings of possible guilt or remorse you might expect from carrying out these things. I could write for hours about this but there are ways to avoid this situation and that is as mentioned above to have methods to control your mind and block out these negative threads before they manifest.
One of my favourite methods is Audiobooks and podcasts. The impulse to eat is infuriating as is the need to drink and urinate 😄
p.s. I've never met a lorry driver that would recommend the job.