• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

jobs, careers and students

M

memyself and b

i would just like to say a HUGE well done to all of you who have either got a job,have a career,studying and those who have done something academically!! This is something that amazes me tremendously as I would love to do something academically or even hold down a job but was bullied at school and was told throughout my childhood that I would not amount to anything along with a lot of other stuff and although I have overcome some things through cbt the academical thing still sticks, I simply dont think I'm brainy enough so I dont go there, plus I dont trust anyone else to look after my kids! Maybe one day when all of the kids are at school???:unsure:

K

kinisha

you can do it

Hi, My name is Lisa

You can do it.
After struggling with personal issues I left school at 15. At sixteen I had my first of about 25 hospital stays for mental illness. At 18 I had my son. I spent many years on an invalids benefit as the doctor said I would never be able to handle work. Although I was able to do voluntary work the doctors wordsbecame a self fulfilling prophecy and I found myself unable to work. In my early 30's I decided that I was not an invalid and went to Work and Income and arranged to move off Invalids benefit onto a Solo Parents Benefit ( even though it meant a $30 drop in income). This was my starting place to move on. After that I spent 10 months at a cafe ( which was a real struggle due to illness issues) , before completing a teacher aid course. After completing the couse I completed a free lifeworks course from home which included goal setting, health, and positive messages. I then decided to move into Early childhood teaching and began voluntary work at a childcare which led into paid work. I have now been working at the centre for six years and completed my Early Childhood Teaching Diploma. I have been appointed Acting Supervisor in my area but this is a bit of a challenge and am unsure whether it will work out. It has not been an easy journey but can be accomplished. Challenges include:: feelings of inadequacy, negative self talk, stickability, medication issues, getting into a routine, ordering sleep patterns, and mixing with others on a professional and social level.
YOU CAN DO IT:):)

M

memyself and b

WOW thanks for that, I like to think that I will do something but Im moving in 8weeks and I have 2 kids under the age of 5 so thats enough to deal with at present but when we get sorted I may start with something small??? But thanks for the inspiration:clap::hug: