• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

job seeking at the dwp

S

seanny

if you are recognised as having a mental health condition but have been turned down for esa (in this instance having been on income support and supplement on disability grounds, then moved temporarily to esa before being deemed fit for work by assessors) can the dwp, in particular a disability employment adviser, push you to apply for jobs you don't want to do? sorry for the long-winded wording - thank you

Wiseowl

Wiseowl

I am not a professional in this area, so these are only my personal thoughts.

In theory no, your advisor should take your MH into account and only suggest sensible ideas.

You are required if you are in the WRAG group to undertake work related activity, but this only has to be something that shows you are moving towards working in the future.

People on jobseekers allowance, I think, have to apply for any jobs suggested unless they have reasonable grounds as to why such a position is unsuitable for them.

The reality is, in my opinion, that advisors are under strict targets and will feel pressured to get claimants off benefits. They will often, in my opinion, threaten claimants with sanctions or give them inaccurate advice about their rights to get that person to cooperate.

You can complain about your advisor and/or any sanctions that may be applied.

Did you appeal the ESA decision? :hug1:

S

seanny

actually, although it was accepted there were mental health issues i was on jsa

S

seanny

sorry for bumping - basically the situation was that i was on jsa but my MH problems were not disputed - so, in this instance could an adviser force a claimant to apply for jobs other than what claimant would like to do