• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Job Refrences

C

ChinaJewel

I am not bothered to go to work anymore. I'm planning on going self-employed. But if I was to do volunteering. Wha could I do if I am struggling for any references? I got a reference from an employability training course from 2013 and another one from 2016, But I don't know if I could use those people now. And I have gone from one place to the next in the past. I couldn't find anything right for me. I feel awkward about these being contacted now as it had been a long time. I don't know if it's worth to bother.

I wouldn't ask a neighbour as not everybody gets on with their neighbours.

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Perhaps you could get a reference from your university or school tutor? People often go to them. Also, not all roles will ask for a reference, so if it's an issue, you could look for a place that doesn't ask for references. Once you've worked there for a while, you can get one :)

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Most folk do not actually follow up on the references. Exceptions being the NHS.

I

itsmeagain

A relative of mine ended up working with a convicted paedophile after the company failed to do a DBS check.
Police came to arrest him at work as he'd done it again.
Then the company checked and found he had a record. 😠