• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Job offer and work programme adviser

P

Poppyflower

I was offered a job this afternoon! But I am still very unwell and am just coming out of a crisis so am unsure if I should accept it. I am in a complete panic so have asked them if I can let them know on Friday.

I'm on the work programme (after being referred by the job centre) and emailed my adviser to let him know about the offer, saying it's full time and I'm not sure they'll allow me to do part time to start off with or how to broach this subject with them.

He rang me back and asked if there's a number he can contact them on. When I asked him why he was evasive. Does anyone know why he would be calling them? Is this normal for a work adviser? Maybe he's just asking them about part time hours but I'm not sure this is wise because they might start thinking I'm not capable of the role. I just don't understand why he wants to speak them and he wouldn't tell me.

Also, the guy is a complete idiot and I very strongly feel I don't want him to talk to my potential future employer.

I am lucky that my adviser from the job centre is wonderful and still allows me to see her even though I'm with the work programme now. I'm going to speak to her tomorrow and she already said on the phone she wouldn't pressure me to take it.

I'm just worried about the work programme adviser wanting to contact them. Also, I'm still in therapy and under the mental health team -- I want to keep this level of support even if I accept the job but I don't know how that could work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this stuff?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I would assume it's to speak to them and ask them about part-time hours.
Even if he is a prat, he can't really break confidentiality by divulging any information about you.

Of course the mental health team will still be there for you, but obviously if you were to accept the job, it would reduce the potential times that you could meet with them.

If I were you i'd really think about what accepting the job would mean and if you're ready for it, then make a decision about whether or not you will accept it. x

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I agree with somerset, likely the adviser will be wanting to understand more about the role to see if there is any scope for part time perhaps? I remember once, I was starting a job and the disability employment adviser rang the office on my first morning. She was embarrassed when it was me who answered, and admitted she was ringing to see if I had turned up... They don't seem to have appropriate boundaries sometimes.
imo I would ask for part time, at least to start with, if not permanently, it's a huge jump from ESA to work, never mind full time.
Good luck, and don't let them pressure you unless it's what you want and feel able to do x

apple

apple

I was offered a job this afternoon! But I am still very unwell and am just coming out of a crisis so am unsure if I should accept it. I am in a complete panic so have asked them if I can let them know on Friday.

I'm on the work programme (after being referred by the job centre) and emailed my adviser to let him know about the offer, saying it's full time and I'm not sure they'll allow me to do part time to start off with or how to broach this subject with them.

He rang me back and asked if there's a number he can contact them on. When I asked him why he was evasive. Does anyone know why he would be calling them? Is this normal for a work adviser? Maybe he's just asking them about part time hours but I'm not sure this is wise because they might start thinking I'm not capable of the role. I just don't understand why he wants to speak them and he wouldn't tell me.

Also, the guy is a complete idiot and I very strongly feel I don't want him to talk to my potential future employer.

I am lucky that my adviser from the job centre is wonderful and still allows me to see her even though I'm with the work programme now. I'm going to speak to her tomorrow and she already said on the phone she wouldn't pressure me to take it.

I'm just worried about the work programme adviser wanting to contact them. Also, I'm still in therapy and under the mental health team -- I want to keep this level of support even if I accept the job but I don't know how that could work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this stuff?
Firstly, well done for achieving a job offer! :) Even if you decide not to accept it, that is an accomplishment in itself.

From what you've said about the job advisor I agree with what's been said, and would trust your intuition about him not speaking to them -I would be concerned about being undermined in any way if he is not very sensitive and that may impact your confidence. If you've already given him their telephone number and you'd rather he didn't call try not to worry, can you ring him back and tell him that you'd prefer he'd agree not to contact them because you'd rather have direct communication and sort it out yourself?

As for the question over whether to take that or a part-time job at the moment, it might be helpful to think what hours do you feel you could comfortably and reasonably manage, bearing in mind that you've recently been so unwell? I would try and think of that, without worrying about pleasing them or the job centre or other people.

To help you decide - how have you managed your days for the past weeks? Are you needing to rest regularly or frequently? Are you feeling fragile or triggered in certain situations? Do you enjoy taking part in activities or meeting socially? Also, do you have a doctor who's opinion you trust to support you?

Your health is really important. I don't know what kind of crisis you experienced, but some people need quite a long time to recover and time to take on activities gradually over a year or much longer. On the other hand, at the opposite end of the spectrum, I know of one person who was hospitalised and then returned to work part-time in about six weeks, progressing to full-time work in a job with managerial responsibilities but I know he is asleep by 8pm on weeknights and has a partner to cook his dinner.

It sounds positive that you will able to speak with the jobcentre advisor who seems much more supportive.

If you've only recently experienced a crisis, I must admit that I'm also a bit surprised that you haven't been considered for the support group (in which you could work up to 15 hours or up to an earnings limit of about £100) while you find your feet. If you think this would be more appropriate, the CAB might be the best people to help you.

Wishing you all the best,

apple x

P

Poppyflower

I agree with somerset, likely the adviser will be wanting to understand more about the role to see if there is any scope for part time perhaps? I remember once, I was starting a job and the disability employment adviser rang the office on my first morning. She was embarrassed when it was me who answered, and admitted she was ringing to see if I had turned up... They don't seem to have appropriate boundaries sometimes.
imo I would ask for part time, at least to start with, if not permanently, it's a huge jump from ESA to work, never mind full time.
Good luck, and don't let them pressure you unless it's what you want and feel able to do x
Thank you for your input. Ideally I would like to start part time but I'm not sure that is an option.

That's awful about the disability employment adviser! What kind of message would that have sent if your employer had answered?! That could have set alarm bells ringing for them, making them wonder if you have an attendance problem or something. I don't get where these employment people are coming from sometimes. :rolleyes:

Firstly, well done for achieving a job offer! :) Even if you decide not to accept it, that is an accomplishment in itself.

From what you've said about the job advisor I agree with what's been said, and would trust your intuition about him not speaking to them -I would be concerned about being undermined in any way if he is not very sensitive and that may impact your confidence. If you've already given him their telephone number and you'd rather he didn't call try not to worry, can you ring him back and tell him that you'd prefer he'd agree not to contact them because you'd rather have direct communication and sort it out yourself?

As for the question over whether to take that or a part-time job at the moment, it might be helpful to think what hours do you feel you could comfortably and reasonably manage, bearing in mind that you've recently been so unwell? I would try and think of that, without worrying about pleasing them or the job centre or other people.

To help you decide - how have you managed your days for the past weeks? Are you needing to rest regularly or frequently? Are you feeling fragile or triggered in certain situations? Do you enjoy taking part in activities or meeting socially? Also, do you have a doctor who's opinion you trust to support you?

Your health is really important. I don't know what kind of crisis you experienced, but some people need quite a long time to recover and time to take on activities gradually over a year or much longer. On the other hand, at the opposite end of the spectrum, I know of one person who was hospitalised and then returned to work part-time in about six weeks, progressing to full-time work in a job with managerial responsibilities but I know he is asleep by 8pm on weeknights and has a partner to cook his dinner.

It sounds positive that you will able to speak with the jobcentre advisor who seems much more supportive.

If you've only recently experienced a crisis, I must admit that I'm also a bit surprised that you haven't been considered for the support group (in which you could work up to 15 hours or up to an earnings limit of about £100) while you find your feet. If you think this would be more appropriate, the CAB might be the best people to help you.

Wishing you all the best,

apple x
Thank you! Luckily I didn't give him the number. He is calling me back tomorrow because I couldn't really talk as it was a bad line (I could hear my voice echoing -- hate it when that happens!) I don't think I'll give it to him then either.

The thing is, one of the main things having a negative impact on my mental health is being unemployed. I know having a job will help me immensely but it needs to be the right role and with the right support. Ideally I would like to ease into the world of work and build up my hours but I don't know how realistic that is. I've had countless interviews and this is my first job offer so I feel I should take it.

I'm so desperate to get my life back on track that I applied for this role DURING the crisis. That's what I'm like! I'm so desperate to keep functioning. I put so much pressure on myself to get everything sorted out and perfect.

I'm at a point where I'm beginning to accept that I will always have mental health problems. There is no cure for me but maybe I can learn to manage my illnesses? Part of me feels that I can't wait around for my health to improve before finding work, especially as having a job is so important to me and my mental wellbeing.

Thank you so much for the responses. This decision feels too big and I am so overwhelmed right now. I feel like I want to try to work but I am scared of failing. Does anyone know if there is any kind of safety net for ESA? I know about permitted work but what if someone wants to try full time? If they fail can they just go back on ESA at the rate they were on or do they have to make a new claim, and start over at the lower rate?

apple

apple

Off the top of my head I'm not sure, but I seem to remember that it did used to be possible to go back on ESA within a certain time period - hopefully your jobcentre advisor would know or be able to find out for you. Also the website benefits and work website would know, but you need to join to post a query on their forum.

Just a thought, but could you ask about the possibility of job-sharing? and also flexible hours?

Also, I believe that because you would be going from ESA into paid work and have a disability (eligibility is DLA or PIP or confirmation from a doctor that you're unable to work a full day or a full week), if you work part-time then you ought to be eligible for a disability component on working tax credits if you're working over 16 hours. This can make quite a difference. Tax credits - extra money due to disability | Disability Rights UK.

It does seem a big ask to me to go full-time and part-time seems wiser imo and ideally that's what you want. I know that in my own case, for a long time I felt very pressured by the DWP and articles in the press to go faster than I could healthily manage.

If you're unsure what to do now, explain that you liked the sound of the job but you need another day to think about things before giving a definite answer and ask if you can contact them Friday?

Perhaps talking this through with someone who has input into your care would be helpful. I realise that you're worried over missing out an opportunity to get back to work, but wouldn't it be wise to make sure it's the right opportunity?

You can also then think and talk through whether it's worth negotiating shorter hours tomorrow and what options would work.

P

Poppyflower

Thank you, apple. I called the benefits people and it would seem there is a 12 week "linking rule". So if a person tries to work but fails because they are still too unwell, their claim to go back on ESA will be linked to their previous claim as long as it is made within 12 weeks. That's what I was told today but I am waiting for confirmation from a second person that it is correct before I believe it!

My job centre adviser has arranged for me to see a different person at the work programme and she is going to help me disclose my conditions to the employer and broach the subject of reasonable adjustments. Hopefully that won't scare them off and they will still want to employ me!