• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Job Interview tomorrow

jajingna

jajingna

I haven't had one of these in years, have not even tried to find work in the last four years. I just sent replies to a couple jobs online the other day, no resume, mentioned only my education and last job as bartender in 2016 before I got ill for quite a long stretch. But someone called this morning at the nearby dollar store. That place is busy. Frequent lineups for the cashiers.

Feel a bit nervous or just a little out of sorts. Would like some work, too much free time wears thin after so long. I guess this is a high turnover type of job like Walmart. Most low wage and service industry jobs are like that. Workers just come and go all the time so they are constantly hiring.

Jam1990

Jam1990

Congrats on the new job. We are in a similar situation. I haven’t had a job in about 5 years and I start a new one tomorrow. I’m very anxious about starting because I’m easily overwhelmed. It’s good for the mental health to get back out there and do something productive like a job though. Spending too much time thinking can be a bad thing and a job can help focus the brain on something else. I hope that your job goes very well for you. Just know that it’s normal to feel a bit anxious about it at first. Just give yourself time to learn everything and don’t be too hard on yourself. You’ll do great. :)

jajingna

jajingna

Thanks, but it is just an interview. Some years ago I must have had ten of them all over town, never hearing back from the employer. It was actually an old buddy of mine that got me work as a bartender and I was also neighbors with the boss. There's no doubt that it helps to know someone at the workplace and not be a total stranger to everybody there.

Oh, congrats to you as well. Hope it goes well. Give us an update in the near future.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Good luck with the job interview. I think you are brave.

jajingna

jajingna

Thanks for the well wishes. I realized I don't even have a nice shirt to wear, will get one tomorrow before the interview. Don't imagine a t-shirt is good enough. Plus I have no resume ready. Not gonna worry about it, don't have access to a printer these days with everything like library and employment office closed since March.

jajingna

jajingna

"What looks large from a distance, close up ain't never that big."
-- Bob Dylan (song: Tight Connection to My Heart)

I thought it went pretty well. The manager was a sweetheart. I felt at ease enough, but still glad it's over. Guess I'll know if I'm hired within a week.

jajingna

jajingna

Thanks, I was hoping to hear back but sometimes that can take a week or longer. So I'll just remain in hope for a while, and they might still be interviewing people. With over 20 employees there, they must need new people often. It's low-wage work, lots of young people, lots of part-timers, and therefore lots of turnover in staff.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Social Anxiety Forum 4